First Order Differential Equation

In summary, a first order differential equation is an equation that contains a derivative of a function with respect to only one variable. It can be used to model physical systems and phenomena involving multiple variables. There are various methods for solving first order differential equations, and they have many real-world applications. These equations are important because they are widely used in science, engineering, and economics to describe and predict the behavior of complex systems.
santeria13
Basically, I am confused by one question in a practice paper in which the equation is given as follows:

dy/dx = e^-2y

and I know the general solution is equal to : y = -0.5e^-2y + C

which would make sense if it was direct integration however it seems to me it is in fact separable integration as there is a lone function of y. Below is a picture of my attempt at a solution through separable integration and would appreciate if anyone has any input? Am I wrong in thinking it's seperable?

Attachments

• IMG_5312.JPG
    IMG_5312.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 396
Physics news on Phys.org
santeria13 said:
Basically, I am confused by one question in a practice paper in which the equation is given as follows:

dy/dx = e^-2y

That's not the solution, as it does not give y as a function of x.
santeria13 said:
which would make sense if it was direct integration however it seems to me it is in fact separable integration as there is a lone function of y. Below is a picture of my attempt at a solution through separable integration and would appreciate if anyone has any input? Am I wrong in thinking it's seperable?
The image you posted is terrible! It goes from barely legible to completely unreadable because of stuff you have crossed out. There are several errors in the lines at the end.

Please include your work inline, not as an image.

Likes S.G. Janssens
santeria13 said:

dy/dx = e^-2y then e
the
I hope you don't 'know' that because it is not true!
which would make sense if it was direct ingration however it seems to me it is in fact separable integration as there is a lone function of y. Below is a picture of my attempt at a solution through separable integration and would appreciate if anyone has any input? Am I wrong in thinking it's seperable?
You are not "wrong in thinking it's separable" but you are "separating" it wrong.
dy/dx= e^(-2y) can be written in "differential" form as e^(2y)dy= dx and then integrating to get e^(2y)/2= x+ C which could then be solved for y as a logarithm of x.
But you seem to be "separating" it as dy= e^(-2y)dx. You can't integrate that because on the right you have a function of y that you cannot integrate with respect to x.

Likes santeria13
Please stop polluting the technical math subforums with these kinds of very badly asked homework questions. I encounter them too often, they are not good for the quality of this particular subforum and, in fact, not good for the quality of PF as a whole.

@santeria13, please repost your question in the Homework section (under Calculus & Beyond). Note that you must use the homework template, and show your work inline in the post, not as an attachment.

Thread closed.

What is a first order differential equation?

A first order differential equation is an equation that contains a derivative of a function with respect to only one variable. The variables in the equation are typically represented by x and y, and the derivative is usually denoted by dy/dx.

What is the difference between an ordinary and a partial first order differential equation?

An ordinary first order differential equation involves a single independent variable, while a partial first order differential equation involves multiple independent variables. Ordinary differential equations are typically used to model physical systems, while partial differential equations are used to model phenomena involving multiple variables, such as heat transfer or fluid flow.

How are first order differential equations solved?

There are multiple methods for solving first order differential equations, including separation of variables, integrating factors, and exact equations. The method used depends on the specific equation and its properties.

What are some real-world applications of first order differential equations?

First order differential equations are used to model a wide range of physical phenomena, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and chemical reactions. They are also used in engineering and economics to model systems and make predictions.

Why are first order differential equations important?

First order differential equations are important because they are widely used in science, engineering, and economics to describe and predict the behavior of complex systems. They also provide a foundation for understanding higher order differential equations and more advanced mathematical concepts.