Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First Year Calculus Kepler's laws?

1. May 13, 2009 #1
    Hello.

I am doing an end of the year presentation/project for calculus BC class, and I was considering examining orbital motion and Kepler's laws in terms of basic calculus. So far I have been reading this site:

http://www.alcyone.com/max/physics/kepler/index.html

Does anyone have any suggestions for variations or examinations of this topic? I was also considering Lagrangian points. The site uses cross products, partial differentiation, and other concepts that I am unfamiliar with, so if there is a way to understand these in terms of BC calculus, I would appreciate an explanation. Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2009 #2
    cross product is quite simple: the cross product of vector A and vector B is defined as a vector C perpendicular to both A and B and whose magnitude is equal to ||A||||B||sin(θ) where θ is the angle between A and B.
    Partial derivatives: a little bit more confusing. the partial derivative of f with respect to x denoted fx(x,y,z) is basically the derivative f' where y and z are assumed to be constants.
    hope this helps!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook