Fixing Subscripts of Subscripts in Joseph Rotman's Advanced Modern Algebra Proof

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
In summary: It is much more useful and convenient to our members to have their questions answered here, rather than to be directed to...another site.another site.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I recently posted a question regarding Joseph Rotman's text Advanced Modern Algebra - Theorem 2.68 and its proof, which reads as follows:View attachment 2699

When I typed the line:

\(\displaystyle \pi (a) = {u_i}_1^{e_1} ... \ ... {u_i}_k^{e_k}\)

I found that the subscript 1 of the subscript i was too large as was, it seems, the subscript k of the subscript i

Can someone help with getting the subscripts of subscripts the right size?

Help would be appreciated.

Peter

Attachments

• Rotman - Theorem 2.68 .png
    Rotman - Theorem 2.68 .png
    9.2 KB · Views: 88
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I recently posted a question regarding Joseph Rotman's text Advanced Modern Algebra - Theorem 2.68 and its proof, which reads as follows:View attachment 2699

When I typed the line:

\(\displaystyle \pi (a) = {u_i}_1^{e_1} ... \ ... {u_i}_k^{e_k}\)

I found that the subscript 1 of the subscript i was too large as was, it seems, the subscript k of the subscript i

Can someone help with getting the subscripts of subscripts the right size?

Help would be appreciated.

Peter

So just so that I understand, you want u with a subscript of i1, where the 1 is also subscript?

Try u_{i_1} to get $\displaystyle \begin{align*} u_{i_1} \end{align*}$.

Prove It said:
So just so that I understand, you want u with a subscript of i1, where the 1 is also subscript?

Try u_{i_1} to get $\displaystyle \begin{align*} u_{i_1} \end{align*}$.

I wanted U to have a subscript of i which itself has a subscript of 1 ... ...

and your suggestion of \begin{align*} u_{i_1} \end{align*} seems to produce the required result ...What do the "begin{align*}" and the "end{align*}" do?

Thanks for the help, by the way!

Peter

Peter said:
I wanted U to have a subscript of i which itself has a subscript of 1 ... ...

and your suggestion of \begin{align*} u_{i_1} \end{align*} seems to produce the required result ...What do the "begin{align*}" and the "end{align*}" do?

Thanks for the help, by the way!

Peter

If you have to go through a lot of steps it enables you to align the equals signs. Put &= instead of =. It also works with most other symbols you want aligned. The * stops each line being listed with a number.

As for why I included it, it's just easier to have it copied so that when I paste I don't have to write it again, as most of my posts do have numerous steps. It wasn't necessary for this one though.

Not to be mean but you seem to ask a lot of trivial questions on LaTeX. You should read the Not to Short Intro to LaTeX or get a manual on LaTeX. For the latter, just Google Not to...to LaTeX.

dwsmith said:
Not to be mean but you seem to ask a lot of trivial questions on LaTeX. You should read the Not to Short Intro to LaTeX or get a manual on LaTeX. For the latter, just Google Not to...to LaTeX.

Dustin, this forum is here so that folks can ask questions regarding the use of $\LaTeX$, even if they may be considered to be "trivial" to someone else. When one person has a question, chances are that others will face this same issue, and having this thread here with a solution posted will quickly answer this question for anyone who finds this thread via a search.

We encourage folks to post their questions, as this is how our knowledge base is increased. :D

MarkFL said:
Dustin, this forum is here so that folks can ask questions regarding the use of $\LaTeX$, even if they may be considered to be "trivial" to someone else. When one person has a question, chances are that others will face this same issue, and having this thread here with a solution posted will quickly answer this question for anyone who finds this thread via a search.

We encourage folks to post their questions, as this is how our knowledge base is increased. :D

the answers to these basic questions already exist and are available for free. Check out the Not so Short Intro to LaTeX and you will see. It was produced by one of the TUG people to alleviate these basic questions. They didn't produce this for no reason. We don't need to reinvent the wheel.

dwsmith said:
the answers to these basic questions already exist and are available for free. Check out the Not so Short Intro to LaTeX and you will see. It was produced by one of the TUG people to alleviate these basic questions. They didn't produce this for no reason. We don't need to reinvent the wheel.

Well, the same could be said of most of the math questions posted here as well, but if we begin to send people to other sites to get their questions answered simply because an answer has already been posted elsewhere, then we aren't really providing any kind of service, other than to increase traffic on other sites.

It is much more useful and convenient to our members to have their questions answered here, rather than to be directed to a mass of documentation where they are then required to dig out what they want. We want our users to feel that they can come here to ask questions, and get a direct answer, rather than being directed elsewhere.

I don't see it as reinventing the wheel, but rather providing help here, when and where it is needed for our users. :D

MarkFL said:
Well, the same could be said of most of the math questions posted here as well, but if we begin to send people to other sites to get their questions answered simply because an answer has already been posted elsewhere, then we aren't really providing any kind of service, other than to increase traffic on other sites.

It is much more useful and convenient to our members to have their questions answered here, rather than to be directed to a mass of documentation where they are then required to dig out what they want. We want our users to feel that they can come here to ask questions, and get a direct answer, rather than being directed elsewhere.

I don't see it as reinventing the wheel, but rather providing help here, when and where it is needed for our users. :D

It is a PDF that one can download, read, and reference. It isn't a site to answer questions. It is a reference manual.

I think you both have valid points.
My post is however fairly useless, but I guess it's too late now :cool:

dwsmith said:

Thanks dwsmith, I will follow your instruction, but I hope it is still acceptable for MHB members to ask questions when one is at a genuine loss as to how to produce a mathematical symbol or expression via Latex, even if it appears trivial to more masterful users.

Peter

1. How do you fix subscripts of subscripts in a mathematical proof?

The first step in fixing subscripts of subscripts is to carefully identify the subscripts that need to be corrected. Then, use proper notation to indicate the corrections, such as using parentheses or brackets. Make sure to also update any other related subscripts or variables in the proof.

2. Why is it important to fix subscripts of subscripts in mathematical proofs?

Fixing subscripts of subscripts is important because it ensures the accuracy and clarity of the proof. Subscripts are used to differentiate between different variables or terms, and incorrect subscripts can lead to confusion and errors in the proof.

3. Can I use any notation to fix subscripts of subscripts?

No, it is important to use proper notation when fixing subscripts of subscripts. This includes using parentheses or brackets to indicate the corrections, and making sure to update all related subscripts or variables. Using incorrect notation can lead to further errors in the proof.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when fixing subscripts of subscripts?

One common mistake to avoid is using the wrong notation or forgetting to update all related subscripts. It is also important to carefully check the original equations or expressions for any other errors that may have caused the incorrect subscripts.

5. Is there a specific order to follow when fixing subscripts of subscripts?

While there is no specific order to follow, it is important to be systematic and thorough when fixing subscripts of subscripts. Start by identifying the subscripts that need to be corrected, then use proper notation and update all related subscripts or variables. Finally, double check the proof to ensure the corrections were made correctly.