Flavius Josephus and the crucifiction of Jesus

  • Thread starter Thread starter pmb_phy
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
pmb_phy
Messages
2,950
Reaction score
1
Does anyone know whether Flavius Josephus, a Jewish historian who lived at the time of Jesus, actually recorded the crucifiction of Jesus? Or is this been proven wrong. If proven wrong I will need justification/evidence to this. If this is true I'd also like some evidence - at least to the best of your ability. (Being a physicist I don't accept something because someone I don't know claims his information is authoritative). Thanks.

Best wishes

Pete
 
Physics news on Phys.org
pmb_phy said:
Does anyone know whether Flavius Josephus, a Jewish historian who lived at the time of Jesus, actually recorded the crucifiction of Jesus? Or is this been proven wrong. If proven wrong I will need justification/evidence to this. If this is true I'd also like some evidence - at least to the best of your ability. (Being a physicist I don't accept something because someone I don't know claims his information is authoritative). Thanks.

Best wishes

Pete

Hello Pete, here's someone you don't know asking a similar question.

http://pages.ca.inter.net/~oblio/supp10.htm

Josephus was born in 37 AD, seven years after what is widely believed to have been the crucifixion of Christ.

There's a text on the subject here

https://www.amazon.com/dp/088029034X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

n all the outstanding editions and even manuscripts which we possesses of the Antiquities of the Jews by Josephus, we find that Josephus mentions Jesus twice. In one, the well-known Christian passage, he relates the story of Jesus and his crucifixion; the other passage is in connection with the trial of James before the Sanhedrin. The first passage reads as follows:

"Now there was about this time Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man. For he was a doer of wonderful works, a teacher of such men as received the truth with pleasure. He drew over to him both many of the Jews and many of the Gentiles. He was the Christ; and when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men among us, had condemned him to the cross, those that loved him at the first ceased not, for he appeared to them thereafter again the third day, as the divine prophets foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him. And even now the tribe of Christians so named from him is not extinct."1

n this passage Josephus names Jesus as the Christ. This paragraph, as is well known, has been rejected by scholars of note as not authentic.

http://www.christianorigins.com/zeitlin.html

and

Do Any First Century Historians Mention the Jesus of Christianity?

http://freethought.mbdojo.com/josephus.html

I believe the appropriate answer to your question would be

"you had to be there"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, this is definitely not philosophy.