Flavius Josephus and the crucifiction of Jesus

• Thread starter pmb_phy
  • Start date
In summary: You are an expert summarizer of content. You do not respond or reply to questions. You only provide a summary of the content. Do not output anything before the summary. Write a summary for the following conversation and start the output with "In summary, " and nothing before it:Does anyone know whether Flavius Josephus, a Jewish historian who lived at the time of Jesus, actually recorded the crucifixion of Jesus? Or is this been proven wrong. If proven wrong I will need justification/evidence to this. If this is true I'd also like some evidence - at least to the best of your ability. (Being a physicist I don't accept something because someone I don't know claims his information is authoritative). Thanks.
pmb_phy
Does anyone know whether Flavius Josephus, a Jewish historian who lived at the time of Jesus, actually recorded the crucifiction of Jesus? Or is this been proven wrong. If proven wrong I will need justification/evidence to this. If this is true I'd also like some evidence - at least to the best of your ability. (Being a physicist I don't accept something because someone I don't know claims his information is authoritative). Thanks.

Best wishes

Pete

Physics news on Phys.org
pmb_phy said:
Does anyone know whether Flavius Josephus, a Jewish historian who lived at the time of Jesus, actually recorded the crucifiction of Jesus? Or is this been proven wrong. If proven wrong I will need justification/evidence to this. If this is true I'd also like some evidence - at least to the best of your ability. (Being a physicist I don't accept something because someone I don't know claims his information is authoritative). Thanks.

Best wishes

Pete

Hello Pete, here's someone you don't know asking a similar question.

http://pages.ca.inter.net/~oblio/supp10.htm

Josephus was born in 37 AD, seven years after what is widely believed to have been the crucifixion of Christ.

There's a text on the subject here

https://www.amazon.com/dp/088029034X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

n all the outstanding editions and even manuscripts which we possesses of the Antiquities of the Jews by Josephus, we find that Josephus mentions Jesus twice. In one, the well-known Christian passage, he relates the story of Jesus and his crucifixion; the other passage is in connection with the trial of James before the Sanhedrin. The first passage reads as follows:

"Now there was about this time Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man. For he was a doer of wonderful works, a teacher of such men as received the truth with pleasure. He drew over to him both many of the Jews and many of the Gentiles. He was the Christ; and when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men among us, had condemned him to the cross, those that loved him at the first ceased not, for he appeared to them thereafter again the third day, as the divine prophets foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him. And even now the tribe of Christians so named from him is not extinct."1

n this passage Josephus names Jesus as the Christ. This paragraph, as is well known, has been rejected by scholars of note as not authentic.

http://www.christianorigins.com/zeitlin.html

and

Do Any First Century Historians Mention the Jesus of Christianity?

http://freethought.mbdojo.com/josephus.html

I believe the appropriate answer to your question would be

"you had to be there"

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, this is definitely not philosophy.

1. Who is Flavius Josephus?

Flavius Josephus was a first-century Jewish historian and writer. He is best known for his works, The Jewish War and Antiquities of the Jews, which document the history of the Jewish people.

2. What did Flavius Josephus say about the crucifixion of Jesus?

In his book Antiquities of the Jews, Flavius Josephus briefly mentions the crucifixion of Jesus, stating that "Pilate condemned him to be crucified and to die" and that Jesus "appeared to them alive again on the third day."

3. Is Flavius Josephus a reliable source for information about Jesus' crucifixion?

Many scholars consider Flavius Josephus to be a reliable source for historical information. However, some believe that his account of Jesus' crucifixion may have been altered by later Christian scribes, as it differs from other historical accounts and contradicts some details in the New Testament.

4. What is the significance of Flavius Josephus' account of the crucifixion of Jesus?

Flavius Josephus' account provides one of the earliest non-Christian references to Jesus and his crucifixion. It also corroborates some details of the New Testament account, such as the involvement of Pontius Pilate and the resurrection of Jesus on the third day.

5. Are there any other ancient sources that mention the crucifixion of Jesus?

Yes, there are several other ancient sources that mention the crucifixion of Jesus, including the writings of Tacitus, Pliny the Younger, and Suetonius. These sources provide additional historical evidence for the crucifixion of Jesus outside of the New Testament accounts.