Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flow rate of air in discharging reservoir

1. Sep 13, 2016 #1
    If I have a tank of volume V, pressure P, and temperature T, what is the most effective way to determine the volume flow rate if I were to suddenly allow the air to discharge through a hose?

My first thought was that I could use Boyle's Law to determine the compressed volume of air in the tank:

Vc = Va*(Pc/Pa)

Where Va is the volume of the non-pressurized vessel, and Pa is atmospheric pressure. Then I could measure the pressure at certain time intervals (say, once every 5 seconds) and calculate a new compressed volume. From there I could calculate the average flow rate during that period as

Q = (Va,2 - Va,1) / (t2 - t1)

And if I take the measurements at even shorter time intervals I believe the result should tend toward the instantaneous flow rate.

Am I on the right track with this? Should I be looking at compressible flow theory for a crude converging nozzle instead? Any help or feedback is greatly appreciated in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2016 #2
    I had a similar question regarding air flow through a nozzle. The best bet is to look into flow through an orifice, also choked flow.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted