1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Mechanics: Differential Hg Manometer

1. Sep 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A differential mercury manometer is connected to pipe A containing gasoline (SG=0.65), and to pipe B containing water. Determine the differential reading, h, corresponding to a pressure in A of 20kPa and a vacuum of 150 mm Hg in B.

2. Relevant equations
    Distance from pipe A to fill line is 0.3 m and distance from pipe B to other fill line is 03 m.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have done a few manometer problems before, however, I am not sure what to make of the "vacuum of 150 mm Hg in B". I do not know what this is implying to the problem?
    If someone could kindly explain I would be very grateful and will be able to complete the question.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It sounds like they are talking about the pressure relative to 1 atm (760 mm Hg).

So the "vacuum of 150 mm Hg" means an absolute pressure of (760-150) or 610 mm Hg.

This probably means the 20 kPa pressure is really 1 atm + 20 kPa.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook