Fluid Mechanics Graduate Program

In summary: It's a very fundamental subject that helps us understand energy, entropy, and the Second Law of Thermodynamics.In summary, the person will be starting a graduate program in a computational science department in September. Their research will be in the field of Fluid Mechanics, but they do not come from an engineering background. They say that a good book to get into is Granger's Fluid Mechanics book which covers a broad range of topics while still retaining depth for each. They also say that Thermodynamics will be an absolute must to add to the "set".
Ramone
I'll be starting a graduate program in a computational science department in September. My research will be in the field of Fluid Mechanics. However, I don't come from an engineering background. My undergraduate degree is in Applied Mathematics where I studied ODEs, PDEs, Calculus, Algebra, Numerical Analysis, FEM, FDM, Complex Analysis and Optimization.

Can someone provide me with a good starting point and a path that I should take to get up to speed with Fluid Mechanics? I have 6 months to get my feet...wet. haha.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Getting to know how to use ANSYS Fluent and CFX should be helpful

1. Start with a Fox & McDonald Introduction to Fluid Mechanics book.
2. Watch the experimental fluid mechanics videos stuck to the top of this forum.

The book by Kundu and Cohen is quite excellent, as it covers applications and theory.

The book by Frank M. White is the most popular amongst pure engineers, but it's the ire of theorists!

The best fluids book from a purely theoretical perspective is Landau and Lifgarbagez.

It would be better to ask what area of fluid mechanics you intend to be working in. The topic is big in a number of fields, including mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, chemical engineering, civil engineering, and applied mechanics/mathematics and the best place to start would depend largely on the type of work you will be doing in fluid mechanics.

I'd also say that, as an applied mathematician, I highly doubt you will be using much Fluent or CFX as Sunfire suggested. Most of the applied mathematicians I know in the field aren't bothering with the commercial codes and are instead developing more sophisticated codes.

Likes 1 person
I will likely be responsible for writing my own code.

I was more interested in understanding what route a typical undergraduate would take to get to a fluid mechanics course...but thanks for the help so far everyone!

An what a typical undergrad will take a different route depending on what angle they are approaching fluids from. In other words, what's the end goal? What are the topics our future research group usually covers? What are the application that its research eventually gets applied to? Or if you want, where are you going and who is going to be your advisor there, that way We could see the kind of topics you need to be building up to.

I think a good book to get into, that is also quite cheap, is Granger's Fluid Mechanics book. It covers a broad range of topics while still retaining depth for each. I still use it as a reference.

Likes 1 person
Looking at the courses you had taken, Thermodynamics will be an absolute must to add to the "set":smile:

1. What is the duration of a Fluid Mechanics graduate program?

The duration of a Fluid Mechanics graduate program varies depending on the institution and the type of program. On average, it takes about 2 years to complete a Master's degree and 3-5 years to complete a PhD in Fluid Mechanics.

2. What are the prerequisites for a Fluid Mechanics graduate program?

Generally, a strong background in mathematics, physics, and engineering is required for admission into a Fluid Mechanics graduate program. Some programs may also require specific courses in fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and numerical methods.

3. What career opportunities are available for graduates of a Fluid Mechanics program?

Graduates of a Fluid Mechanics program can pursue careers in a variety of industries, such as aerospace, automotive, energy, and environmental engineering. They can work as researchers, design engineers, or consultants in fields related to fluid dynamics and flow control.

4. Are there any research opportunities available for graduate students in Fluid Mechanics?

Yes, many graduate programs in Fluid Mechanics offer research opportunities for their students. These can range from working on individual research projects with faculty members to participating in interdisciplinary research teams and collaborations with industry partners.

5. Can I specialize in a specific area of Fluid Mechanics during my graduate studies?

Yes, most graduate programs in Fluid Mechanics allow students to specialize in a particular area of the field, such as computational fluid dynamics, turbulence, or multiphase flows. Students can choose elective courses and research projects that align with their interests and career goals.