Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid mechanics: source and sink flows

1. Sep 1, 2008 #1
    can anybody give the physical examples of source and sink flows?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Inlet pipes and plugholes? :confused:
  4. Sep 4, 2008 #3
    well m not sure about that. are there any other examples something like in boundary layer flows or flows in turbines or compressors or centrifugal pumps?
  5. Sep 4, 2008 #4
    think of source flow pouring water on the floor in a straight uniform stream. When it hits the floor it can only move in two dimensions, so its like the water appears from a single point on the floor. Sink flow is like if there was a drain in the floor and the area around the drain was sloping inward so as to draw water in. is this what you are asking?
  6. Sep 4, 2008 #5
    thank you so much for replying. i almost lost the hopes.

i guess you are trying to make it conceptually clear. well i got the concept. But my question is, do these flows (source or sink flows) apart from what you explained it above occur when we analyze flow over wings of aircraft or in any boundary layer flows or in any of the power producing or absorbing devices like turbines or compressors...?
  7. Sep 4, 2008 #6
    these flows do not exist by themselves in the examples you provided. but they do have a practical application to describing flow over a wing. its called the vortex panel method
    i think this is what you are looking for. http://www.engapplets.vt.edu/fluids/vpm/vpminfo.html
  8. Sep 5, 2008 #7
    thank you very much
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?