Flow rate needed to lift object inside a vertical pipe

• Thread starter alexlsu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flow rate
alexlsu
TL;DR Summary
How much flow rate is needed to either keep an object suspended in a large ID pipe section or to lift the object into the next section?
I have an object being forced up a vertical pipe with a slightly larger ID than the object by water. Then, the object reaches an area with a much larger ID than an object. How much flow fluid do I need to keep the object moving through the larger ID section and reach back into a small ID section? This is simplified for calculation. There are tapered areas to help guide the object into the next section. I need to know if the object will stall in the larger ID section due to fluid bypassing around it.

Smaller ID: 1.049 inches (0.027 m)
Larger ID: 1.800 inches (0.046 m)
Length of section: 24 inches (0.610 m)
Object OD: 0.955 inches (0.024 m)
Object Weight: 3 lbs (13.34 Newtons)
Use standard water as fluid: 1.0 SG
Flow rate available: up to 43 GPM (0.00276 m3/s)
Pressure is not an issue.

I tried using force calculations of the moving water against the object, and the results didn't look correct. For example, the object is 3 lbs (13.3 Newtons), and the water flow force in the large section (ID=1.8") at 43 GPM is 2.32 Newtons. So, at the max flow rate, the fluid would not be able to lift the object. Even as the fluid is moving at 1.7 m/s.

We know from practice that the object will move with no issues in the 1.049" ID pipe as the clearance between the ID and OD is very small.
Any help is appreciated.

1698691279320.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
I once designed a rotameter (search the term) by using the drag equation (search the term). For calculating fluid velocity, I used the flow area around the object (tube area minus cross sectional area of object).

It was a learning experience. The object, a steel ball, whirled around and wore a groove in the tube wall. Do not be surprised if your object does the same, which could cause difficulty passing the contraction.

The Mechanical Engineering forum is a better fit for this thread, so I'm moving it there.

Likes russ_watters
Welcome to PF.

Does the object have to have that exact shape? Or could it have a higher drag section near the tip to keep it oriented better in the flow direction?
alexlsu said:
TL;DR Summary: How much flow rate is needed to either keep an object suspended in a large ID pipe section or to lift the object into the next section?

There are tapered areas to help guide the object into the next section.
Could you show that in your diagram?

To hold it still you have a few forces at work, there is a thrust from the change in flow momentum, a hydrostatic pressure differential across the shuttle, and a form drag acting on its sides. All these forces add to balance the weight of the shuttle at some mass flow rate.

We can find the thrust by examining the momentum efflux:

$$ T = \dot m v_2 - \dot m v_1 $$

By continuity:

$$\dot m = \rho A_1 v_1 = \rho A_2 v_2$$

Putting everything in terms of ##\dot m ##:

$$ T = \frac{ \dot m ^2}{\rho}\left( \frac{1}{A_2} - \frac{1}{A_1} \right) $$

##A_1## is full pipe area
##A_2## is the annulus area around the shuttle
## \dot m ## is the mass flowrate
## \rho## is the flow density

If you want to stop there for an upper bound on the flowrate just equate that with the weight of the shuttle ##W##:

$$ \frac{ \dot m ^2}{\rho}\left( \frac{1}{A_2} - \frac{1}{A_1} \right) = W $$

and solve for the mass flowrate.

If you want to keep trying to trim that back, we add in the hydrostatic pressure differential across the shuttle:

$$ F_{hydro} = \rho g L A_s $$

Where ##L## is the shuttle length
##A_s## is the shuttle cross sectional area

Then if you still want to trim some more, the last Force to add ( drag ) is more involved, but the idea will be to convert viscous dissipative force work into a pressure loss across the shuttle. I'll try to work on that tomorrow.

$$ T + F_{hydr}+F_{loss} = W $$

Looking at this in the clear light of day, I'm no longer confident in that thrust force. I tried to treat it as though the shuttle were being hit by an impinging jet. It didn't then occur to me that the fluid at the top of the shuttle is going through the opposite acceleration, returning the average flow velocity to ##v_1##; meaning we can expect a net zero force from momentum change. I suppose the whole thing is just the last two terms that balance the weight. Does that sit well with any other contributors? It may require some precision fluid dynamics (that accounts for velocity and pressure distributions) to describe it, maybe @Chestermiller would share some thoughts; my foundations are shaky here.

Last edited:

1. What is flow rate and how does it relate to lifting an object in a vertical pipe?

Flow rate refers to the volume of fluid that moves through a pipe or channel per unit of time, typically measured in liters per second (L/s) or cubic meters per second (m³/s). In the context of lifting an object inside a vertical pipe, the flow rate determines the velocity and pressure of the fluid, which must be sufficient to overcome the gravitational force on the object and any frictional forces between the object and the pipe walls.

2. How do you calculate the flow rate needed to lift an object in a vertical pipe?

To calculate the flow rate necessary to lift an object in a vertical pipe, you need to consider the object's weight, the density of the fluid, the cross-sectional area of the pipe, and the height to which the object needs to be lifted. The Bernoulli’s equation and principles of fluid dynamics are typically used to estimate the required flow rate. This involves balancing the gravitational force acting on the object with the dynamic lift generated by the fluid flow.

3. What factors affect the flow rate required to lift an object in a vertical pipe?

Several factors can affect the required flow rate: the density and viscosity of the fluid, the weight and shape of the object, the diameter and roughness of the pipe, and the height to which the object needs to be lifted. Additionally, any bends or fittings in the pipe can introduce additional resistance and require a higher flow rate to achieve the same lifting effect.

4. Can any object be lifted by adjusting the flow rate in a vertical pipe?

Not all objects can be lifted by merely adjusting the flow rate in a vertical pipe. The object's buoyancy, shape, and density relative to the fluid, as well as the maximum achievable flow rate and fluid velocity, play crucial roles. If the object is too heavy or if its shape causes excessive drag or does not allow for a uniform flow around it, it might not be possible to lift it using fluid flow alone.

5. What are some practical applications of using flow rate to lift objects in vertical pipes?

This principle is used in various industrial and engineering applications, such as pneumatic and hydraulic conveying systems where materials are transported through pipes using air or liquid flow. It is also applied in waste management systems, where debris is lifted and removed from subterranean locations, and in some types of pumping and water treatment facilities, where solids need to be separated from liquids.