Flunked this test correct answers needed

• Thread starter missy28
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, the conversation involves a student struggling with a physics test and needing help with various physics concepts such as classifying units, calculating resistances and potential differences, and understanding potential dividers. The student also asks for help in finding the correct answers.
missy28
Flunked this test... correct answers needed

I FAILED THIS TEST MISERABLY :cry:

1) Classify each of the terms in the left hand column by placing X in the relevant box.

Base Unit Derived Unit Base Quantity Derived Quantity
Mass
Charge
Joule
Ampere
Volt

2) The table gives four word equations. Complete the table with the quantity defined by each word equation.

Word Equation Quantity Defined
Voltage / Current
Voltage x Current
Charge / Time
Work Done / Charge

3a) The resistance of an ammeter is assumed to be?

b) The resistance of a voltmeter is assumed to be?

c) Calculate the total resistance of four 5.0 ohm; resistors connected in parallel

4) Three resistors or resistances R1, R2, and R3 are connected in parallel with each other. They could be replaced by a single resistor.
Show that the resistance R of the equivalent single resisitor can be calculated from:

1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3

5)... this one includes chart... nevermind

6a) A copper wire has a CSA of 0.20 x 10^6 m^2. Copper has 1.0 x10^29 free electrons per cubic metre. Calculate the current through the wire when the drift speed of the electrons is 0.94mm s^ -1

6b) The wire is 4.0m long. Copper has a resistivity if 1.7 x 10^ -8 ohm; per m. Calculate the resistance of the wire.

6c) Calculate the potential difference across the wire.

6d) A second wire with the same diameter is made from a material that has a density greater than that of copper. Explain how, if at all, the current will differ from that in the copper wire when the same p.d is applied across it.

6e) The number of free electrons per cubic metre in this wire is the same as that in the copper wire. Compare the drift velocities of the free electrons in the two wires.

7a)A lightning stroke passes between a cloud and a lightning conductor 50m high attached to a tall building. A very large current of 20,000A passes for 4.0 x 10^ -4 s.

Calculate the charge flowing to the ground in this time.

7b) The lightning conductor is 50m high and has a CSA of 1.0 x 10^ -3 m^2. It is made from copper which has a resistivity of 1.7 x 10^ -8 ohms per m. Calculate the resistance of the lightning conductor.

7c) Hence calculate the potential difference between the top and bottom of the current-carrying lightning conductor.

7d) If lightning strikes a tree such that there is the same current through it as there was through the lightning conductor, then a much larger potential difference exists between top and bottom of the tree. Explain why this is so.

8b) Two resistors of resistance 2.0 Mohm; and 4.0ohm; are connected in series across a supply voltage of 6.0 V together they form a simple potential divider circuit.
State the potential difference between each resistor.

8b) A second potential divider circuit uses a resistor and a diode connected in series with the same supply.
Calculate the potential difference across each component when the reisitance of the resistor and diode are 45ohm; and 5.0ohm; respectively.

does anyone know how to work out the right answers?

thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thread moved from Advanced Physics to Intro Physics.

missy, the PF rules require you to show your work before we can help you. Please fill in your best answers to each question, and we'll check your work.

for your question. It seems like you have encountered some difficulties with your test and are seeking help. I would suggest reviewing your class notes and textbook to better understand the concepts and equations involved in this test. It's important to fully understand the material rather than just memorizing the answers. Additionally, you can also try practicing similar problems to improve your understanding and problem-solving skills. Good luck!

1. Why did I flunk this test?

There could be a variety of reasons why you did not do well on this test. It could be due to a lack of preparation, difficulty understanding the material, or test anxiety. It is important to reflect on what may have caused your poor performance and work on improving in those areas for future tests.

2. How can I improve my test scores?

The best way to improve your test scores is to study and prepare thoroughly. Make sure you understand the material and review your notes and textbooks. You can also try practicing with past exams or creating study guides. Additionally, managing test anxiety and staying calm during the test can also help improve your performance.

3. Can I retake the test?

This depends on your school's policies. Some schools allow retakes for a better grade, while others do not. It is best to check with your teacher or professor to see if this is an option for you.

4. Will this one bad test affect my overall grade?

It depends on how heavily the test was weighted and how well you did on your other assignments and exams. If the test was a significant portion of your grade, it may have a larger impact. However, one bad test does not necessarily mean your overall grade will be affected significantly. It is important to continue doing your best on future assignments and exams to improve your overall grade.

5. What can I do if I don't understand a question on the test?

If you do not understand a question on the test, do not panic. Take a deep breath and try your best to analyze and interpret the question. If needed, you can ask your teacher or professor for clarification. If you are still unsure, make your best guess and move on to the next question. You can always come back to it later if you have time.