Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Flush? [Thrush]

1. Dec 20, 2009 #1

Mentallic

Homework Helper

For a long while now I'd get a build up of white gunk on my tongue which seems to begin from the back and make its way to the front. I can brush it off and whatever but it manages to build up to a noticeable amount within 12 hours - I can see it, taste it, and it's a bit smelly.
    I've had flush (the mouth kind) years before, but that was much worse - like an accelerated version of what I seem to have now. But whatever I have (which really doesn't seem to do anything other than cause bad breath) has lasted a lot longer than when I had flush.

What could this possibly be, and is it a sign of something worse to come?
    Thoughts welcome :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2009 #2
    Re: Flush?

Thrush is an infection of the mouth caused by the candida fungus, also known as yeast. White coated tongues affect a large portion of the population, and in many cases its caused by the same fungus.

You should see your dentist or doctor for long term control.

Things you can do at home are eating plenty of yogurt and gargle with a oxygen type mouth wash. You could also buy a tongue scraper.

4. Dec 21, 2009 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Oh it's called thrush? haha yes that's right!! :redface:

Can't the body rid itself of this fungus? If I knew it goes away on its own after a year or so (even though I think I've had it longer than that already) then I'd probably avoid the medication.
    I would also think it's not contagious because I've kissed my girlfriend aplenty, and she hasn't got it.

I have been resorting to scrubbing the white coating off with my toothbrush and that works fine. It's just that I can never get the very back, which I believe would be too far even for gargling.

5. Dec 21, 2009 #4

I wouldn't underestimate the gargle aspect, if you do it right, little droplets will reach the effected area. Also be sure to clean or change your tooth brush often. You could be re-infecting yourself with it.

Some people have a very hard time getting rid of fungus infections. It may have something to do with the proper growing conditions, as in PH and warmth. You really should consult your doctor for the proper diagnoses.

6. Dec 21, 2009 #5

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Thanks for the advice, replacing my toothbrush is something I don't really do that often - which I should - and yes I've already booked an appointment with my doctor.

My mum told me to stop kissing others as it's contagious. Is it really? Because again, my girlfriend doesn't have it and if it truly was contagious it would have definitely caught on by now. I've also been the type to swing around between many at parties, so it wouldn't rest well on my conscience to know I've been spreading a fungus...

And any ideas on what the medication might possibly hold in store for me? I understand it would treat it, but will it do this permanently or only temporarily? Reason being I don't want to be taking medication each day for the rest of my life.

7. Dec 21, 2009 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

This is a long shot but you might want to get yourself tested for high blood sugar.
    Thrush can sometimes be an indicator of out-of-control sugars (Diabetes).

8. Dec 21, 2009 #7

Mentallic

Homework Helper

I don't really have the body shape or diet to get type II diabetes, so you must be referring to type 1? I would hope I don't have that...

I'll keep what you said in mind though, and ask the doctor if it might be possible cause to the fungus.

9. Dec 21, 2009 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

http://www.thrush-symptoms.com/articles/thrush-causes/thrush-and-diabetes.php [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  10. Dec 21, 2009 #9

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You don't necessarily have diabetes. Just see your dentist and ask for the plan of treatment. Don't be too rough on brushing your tongue, if you damage the surface you might actually create the perfect culture ground for the micro-organisms.

11. Dec 22, 2009 #10

Mentallic

Homework Helper

I went to see the doctor and she prescribed me some simple lozenges. And it takes only a few days to cure.
    I've also changed my toothbrush and if I'm cured of this fungus, there won't be anymore need for scrubbing so hard - thanks monique :biggrin:

Oh and as for the diabetes: (this is from what I remember, not word for word)

I think I'm going to be ok! :smile:

12. Dec 22, 2009 #11
    That was the extent of it? Nothing about the actual symptoms of diabetes? Find a different doc.....

13. Dec 22, 2009 #12

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Thats the way she works lol. I've become accustomed to her methods, and frankly I like it. She doesn't get into details unless I ask, and I think we've both understood this since I do ask quite often. She only gives details about the issue at hand, in this case, the fungus in itself.
    I would've asked if it weren't that I already read that article just prior to seeing her.
    She's a good doctor, really! (from what I can see hehe)

p.s. except that after I asked if there were any other precautions I could take help rid myself of the thrush besides the lozenges, she didn't really add anything and I had to bring up a few of the ideas in this thread, such as changing toothbrush which she agreed with, without adding anything else.
    Besides this, at least I'm comfortable with my doctor and we can joke around. I don't like those that have a mono-tone and only talk about the patient's symptoms. In other words, when they're too professional - I'm sure others would disagree with me here.
    We did have a nice little chat about the swine flu, and somehow that lead me to getting a swine flu injection...

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  14. Dec 22, 2009 #13
    Well you still have unexplained thrush,and while easily treated,it would take three seconds to ask about increased hunger, thirst, urination, etc instead of some non-symptom. Thats the only thing that bothered me.

15. Dec 22, 2009 #14

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Yes you're right. I guess that is a flaw in the doctor's behaviour. At the time I didn't think about what side-effects these lozenges may have - if any - but now I'm curious to know. The bottle doesn't state any so I'm guessing there aren't any.

I never thought a fungus could be this easy to cure medically, while it's near impossible by just leaving it alone yourself.

16. Dec 22, 2009 #15

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The doctor could have asked on about the diabetes, it never hurts to check someone's symptoms, but thrush can also occur in many other conditions. Doctors probably hear it all day long "I read on the internet..." You could also have asked "I've read that thrush can be caused by AIDS". I do agree that it is a flaw that a doctor does not take a patient seriously, they often all too easily wave away a patient's concerns.

17. Dec 22, 2009 #16
    I have this problem occasionally and the only thing that I find effective is taking digestive bacteria. I use a solid tablet and chew it. Usually clears right up. The first time I used digestive bacteria it was suggested to me by a friend. It was about ten days before I noticed a significant reduction. Now I only need to take it one or two days and my tongue will be back to normal.

Hope this helps:^)

18. Dec 22, 2009 #17
    if the doc takes routine blood samples for testing, she'd probably know whether her patient has diabetes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook