Focusing gaussian beam using a lens

In summary, the conversation is about studying Gaussian optics and determining the waist location of a Gaussian beam passing through a lens. The formula for the waist location is given by (z'-f) = (z-f)M^2, where z' is the waist location after the lens, z is the waist location before the lens, f is the focal length of the lens, and M is the magnification. The magnification M is given by Mr/(1+r)^(1/2), where r is the ray optics magnification and is given by z0/(z-f), with z0 being the Rayleigh length. The student is trying to use ABCD laws and q-parameter to prove the waist location formula, but is having
yong0047
I am studying further about Gaussian optics.
When Gaussian beam pass through a lens, the waist location is given by

(z'-f) = (z-f)M^2

Where, z' is the waist location after lens, z is waist location before lens, f is the focal length of the lens M is the magnification.

In Gaussian optics, the magnification M is given by Mr/(1+r)^(1/2), the r of Mr should be subscript is the ray optics magnification f/(z-f), the r is given by z0/(z-f), z0 is the Rayleigh length.

However, I try to use ABCD laws on q-parameter, and also geometrically and algebraically, still can't prove the waist location is given by (z'-f) = (z-f)M^2. Can you give me some idea to solve it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

I've not seen the focal position put in terms of m like that before, so I'm not how much I can help. But, perhaps you could show more details of the ABCD calculation you did. If the error is in that, I can probably help.

then is it possible for you to prove

z' = f(z^2 + z0^2 - fz)/(z - f)^2 + z0^2

? the ABCD should be no problem. Just the algebraic don't how to prove it to be.

I don't see an obvious way to prove that, sorry. Even taking the ray-optics limit z0→0, it's not clear to me how to prove the resulting equation.

Since you're new here, I'll just point out that the policy here is for the student to show some work towards solving the problem, before getting help from others.

Obviously you're an advanced student, but we do get other people here who don't bother to try any work, or even look up basic equations in their textbook, and expect others to give them answers--which they don't learn from since they weren't encouraged to engage their own brain in the problem.

Regards,

Redbelly98

What is a gaussian beam?

A gaussian beam is a type of laser beam that has a bell-shaped intensity profile, with the highest intensity at the center and gradually decreasing towards the edges.

How is a gaussian beam focused using a lens?

A lens is used to focus a gaussian beam by changing the curvature of the beam's wavefront. This causes the beam to converge at a point, known as the focal point, where the intensity is maximized.

What factors affect the focusing of a gaussian beam using a lens?

The factors that affect the focusing of a gaussian beam using a lens include the wavelength of the beam, the curvature of the lens, and the distance between the lens and the beam.

What is the relationship between the focal length of a lens and the focused beam spot size?

The focal length of a lens is inversely proportional to the focused beam spot size. This means that a shorter focal length lens will result in a smaller and more tightly focused beam spot.

Is it possible to focus a gaussian beam to a point?

No, it is not possible to focus a gaussian beam to a single point. This is due to the diffraction of light, which causes the beam to spread out slightly even at the focal point. However, using a lens with a shorter focal length can result in a smaller and more concentrated beam spot.