Gaussian Beam Focusing: Find A(0) at Beam Waist

In summary: Not sure what you have tried already- have you used these...I haven't tried anything specific, but I did try to replicate an experiment that a student did in a class I took. They simply assumed the beam focused like a cone and then measured the distance from the beam waist to the focus. This seemed like pretty poor experimental work to me as you can make the intensity become infinitely large by "choosing/measuring" a value closer to the beam waist.
Lemenks
A Gaussian beam has an intensity I(r,z), if the beam area at position Z is given by A(Z), then the beam gets focused by a lens of focal length f, what will the area of the beam be at the beam waist A(0) be?

So I have been trying to figure this out for ages, I had to replicate an experiment in which a student simply assumed the beam focused like a cone, in which case you say the beam is 0 at the beam waist and the beam is "close" to the beam waist and choose/measure a distance. This seemed like pretty poor experimental work to me as you can make the intensity become infinitely large by "choosing/measuring" a value closer to the beam waist. In this scenario I have taken position z from the beam waist to be the focal distance f:

A(f)/A(0) = (pi*w(f)^2)/(pi*w(0)^2) = (w(f)/(w(0))^2 = (f/x)^2

x is the distance from the beam waist that a person "chooses" or "measures". To see the above equation, I found it constructive to draw out a cone and put in the values.

I read several Gaussian optics manuals and a better expression seems to be

A(f)/A(0) = (f/ZR)

Where ZR is the Rayleigh length and is given by

ZR = pi*w(0)^2/gamma

However the problem with this is that I don't know w(0). I read a limit for w(0)>/= 2*gamma/pi, however this seems to result is nonsensical answers.

If anyone here knows or works with lasers, perhaps you could help explain it to me?

Lemenks said:
A Gaussian beam has an intensity I(r,z), if the beam area at position Z is given by A(Z), then the beam gets focused by a lens of focal length f, what will the area of the beam be at the beam waist A(0) be?

So I have been trying to figure this out for ages, I had to replicate an experiment in which a student simply assumed the beam focused like a cone, in which case you say the beam is 0 at the beam waist and the beam is "close" to the beam waist and choose/measure a distance. This seemed like pretty poor experimental work to me as you can make the intensity become infinitely large by "choosing/measuring" a value closer to the beam waist. In this scenario I have taken position z from the beam waist to be the focal distance f:

A(f)/A(0) = (pi*w(f)^2)/(pi*w(0)^2) = (w(f)/(w(0))^2 = (f/x)^2

x is the distance from the beam waist that a person "chooses" or "measures". To see the above equation, I found it constructive to draw out a cone and put in the values.

I read several Gaussian optics manuals and a better expression seems to be

A(f)/A(0) = (f/ZR)

Where ZR is the Rayleigh length and is given by

ZR = pi*w(0)^2/gamma

However the problem with this is that I don't know w(0). I read a limit for w(0)>/= 2*gamma/pi, however this seems to result is nonsensical answers.

If anyone here knows or works with lasers, perhaps you could help explain it to me?

I'm a little unclear about your geometry: you seem to have a well-specified gaussian beam (do you know I(r,z) or not?) that is focused by a lens placed at a particular z = Z, and then you want to know the properties of the refracted beam?

Andy Resnick said:
I'm a little unclear about your geometry: you seem to have a well-specified gaussian beam (do you know I(r,z) or not?) that is focused by a lens placed at a particular z = Z, and then you want to know the properties of the refracted beam?
Yes I know the intensity at I(r,z) and need to calculate it at I(r,0) - sorry if I made it unclear. I was just a little confused as to the proper way of making this calculation, the beam focusing as a cone shape seemed too approximate and also to contain really large errors so I was trying to see if there was a batter method.

Lemenks said:
Yes I know the intensity at I(r,z) and need to calculate it at I(r,0) - sorry if I made it unclear. I was just a little confused as to the proper way of making this calculation, the beam focusing as a cone shape seemed too approximate and also to contain really large errors so I was trying to see if there was a batter method.

Not sure what you have tried already- have you used these resources:

http://www.newport.com/Gaussian-Beam-Optics/144899/1033/content.aspx
http://uigelz.eecs.umich.edu/classes/pub/ece355/handouts/example_gaussian_beam_focused_lens.pdf
http://nicadd.niu.edu/~piot/phys_630/Lesson3.pdf

What is a Gaussian beam?

A Gaussian beam is a type of laser beam that has a Gaussian intensity profile, meaning that the intensity of the beam is highest at the center and decreases gradually towards the edges.

What is beam waist?

Beam waist, also known as the focus point or the focal spot, is the point of minimum beam diameter and highest intensity in a Gaussian beam.

How do you find A(0) at the beam waist?

To find A(0) at the beam waist, you can use the Gaussian beam propagation equation, which is A(z) = A(0) * exp(-r^2/w(z)^2), where A(z) is the amplitude at a distance z from the beam waist, r is the radial distance from the center of the beam, and w(z) is the beam waist radius at a distance z.

What factors affect the beam waist?

The beam waist can be affected by several factors, including the wavelength of the laser, the beam divergence, and any optical elements in the beam path such as lenses or mirrors.

Why is the beam waist important in Gaussian beam focusing?

The beam waist is important in Gaussian beam focusing because it determines the spot size and intensity of the focused beam. A smaller beam waist results in a smaller focused spot and higher intensity, making it critical for applications such as laser cutting and drilling.