Follow-Up on F-Test in Multi-Linear Regression

In summary, the conversation discusses linear regression and testing for equality of means to zero. After rejecting the null hypothesis, a multiple comparison test must be done to determine which coefficients are non-zero. This can include pairwise comparisons and applying Bonferroni correction. The F-test only indicates whether there is at least one non-zero coefficient in the regression, but does not specify which ones.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
Say we want to linearly regress Y (dependent) against ## X_1, X_2,..., X_n ## (Independent) , all numerical variables to get a model ## Y=a_1X_1+...+a_n X_n ## .

Then we test ## H_0 ## for whether :

##H_0: 0= a_1= a_2 =...=a_n ##

## H_1 : a_i \neq 0 ## for some ## i=1,2,..,n ##

( This is a generalization on the test for equality of 2 means to equality of means, to zero )

Could someone remind me what one does when one rejects ## H_0 ## in terms of deciding, figuring
out which of the ## a_i' ##s is non-zero , other than considering the t-intervals for each of the ##a_i ## 'sand checking whether the intervals (a,b) contain 0, i.e., whether a<0<b ?

EDIT IIRC, we then do a pairwise comparison of means and then consider the intervals?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The F-test doesn't really allow for finding out which coefficients are zero. It's a test for overall regression. To look at the main effects and see which are interesting and which are not, you'll have to do a multiple comparison test of some sort, depending on your goal. At the very least, you should probably apply Bonferroni correction (although that's a debatable path).

Likes WWGD
I ( think I ) understand; the F-test only tells you ( If you reject ## H_0 ##) whether there is at least one non-zero coefficient in the regression ## Y=a_1X_1+..+a_n X_n ## , but does not say which. I understand afterwards you do pairwise comparisons.

1. What is an F-test in multi-linear regression?

An F-test in multi-linear regression is a statistical test used to determine the overall significance of a regression model. It assesses whether there is a linear relationship between the independent variables and the dependent variable.

2. How is an F-test performed in multi-linear regression?

An F-test is typically performed by calculating the ratio of two variances: the explained variance (represented by the sum of squared errors, SSE) and the unexplained variance (represented by the sum of squared residuals, SSR). This ratio is then compared to an F-distribution table to determine the p-value and assess the significance of the model.

3. What is the purpose of performing a follow-up on an F-test in multi-linear regression?

The purpose of a follow-up on an F-test is to further analyze the significance of the individual independent variables in the model. This can help identify the specific variables that are contributing significantly to the model and potentially refine the model for better predictions.

4. How is a follow-up on an F-test typically conducted?

A follow-up on an F-test is typically conducted by performing individual t-tests on each independent variable in the model. This allows for a more in-depth analysis of the significance of each variable and can help identify any potential outliers or influential data points.

5. What are some potential limitations of using an F-test in multi-linear regression?

One potential limitation of using an F-test in multi-linear regression is that it assumes the data follows a normal distribution. If this assumption is not met, the results of the F-test may be inaccurate. Additionally, the F-test is unable to detect non-linear relationships between variables. It is also important to consider the sample size and potential confounding variables when interpreting the results of an F-test.