Food calories needed to climb stairs 6 m at 10% efficiency

  • Thread starter Thread starter shuman0101
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Calories Work
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
shuman0101
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A person whose mass is 70 kg runs up a flight of stairs through a vertical height of 6 m. If she uses her food with an efficiency of 10%, how many food calories does she have to consume to do this work?

Homework Equations



P.E=mgh=W

(Output/input)*100 = Efficiency

The Attempt at a Solution



I assumed that mgh=w because there is not kinetic energy at the top, so I just solved for mgh and got 4116J. I converted that into calories and found the input using the formula above, an I got ~9830 cals. When I looked at the answer key it said 9.9 cals( not Kcals)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
A food calorie is a Kcal. (You can look it up.)