Football freaks only - Which league is the best?

• Thread starter EL
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation mainly revolved around discussing the strongest league for soccer and American football, with some additional comments about other sports such as frisbee and beer pong. The general consensus was that the Premier League is the strongest for soccer, and that the NFC is the strongest for American football. There were also some comments about the differences between the two sports and why American football is referred to as "football." Overall, the conversation was light-hearted and included some playful banter.

Which football league is the best?

• Total voters
neurocomp2003 said:
CFL rules are better than the NFL.
Canada has something like F-ball? Seriously?

Physics news on Phys.org
The NFC? The AFC? Please, there are no better leagues this year, it is just the Colts and The Rest.

The Giants suck, they barely beat the Eagles, the Bears have always sucked, they just have a good record, same for the Panthers, I guess the only team in the NFC that has been good lately is the Seahawks, the Vikings have won 6 straight, but let's see how they finish.

Now for the AFC. The Broncos suck, they barely beat the Ravens, the Bengals suck, they barely beat the Browns, the Chiefs lost to Dallas, the Chargers lost to Miami, the Jags got smoked again, not as bad as last time though, by the Colts.

I am going to say Seahawks vs Colts in the Superbowl, and the Colts Win by 14 or more.

This thread is about Football.. not American Football! please stay on topic..:tongue2:

Well what you call Football, we call European Football, or soccer. And what you call American Football we call Football :smile:

honestrosewater said:
Canada has something like F-ball? Seriously?
Yes, the Candian Football League even had teams in Shreveport, LA, a team in Tennesse (I think it was in Memphis), Birmingham, plus the most infamous team of all: The Baltimore CFL Colts. The Indianapolis Colts, which once were located in Baltimore, but moved to Indianapolis in the middle of the night, sued the CFL Colts to force them to quit using the Colts name (this was before Modell packed up and moved his Browns from Cleveland to Baltimore). The NFL Colts won their case in the middle of the CFL season, so the Baltimore CFL team played the rest of the season (and the next) with no name, but still kept the horse logo on their helmets. ESPN suddenly started showing CFL highlights just so Chris Berman could talk about the CFL Baltimore Horse With No Name. :rofl:

I think the CFL had some teams in Canada, as well, but I'm not positive about that.

Well what you call Football, we call European Football, or soccer. And what you call American Football we call Football
By 'you' do you mean everyone else on the planet? :rolleyes: ppftt...

Premier League is definitely the best followed by La Liga...

siddharth said:
Football(ie, the one you play with the feet) is nice to play and the rules are very simple (except the offside rule). Very little equipment is required.
It's also a free-flowing game and exciting to watch.
Besides, you can scream anything as long as the ref doesn't hear it.
What in the world is complicated about the offside law? I've never understood why people have so much trouble understanding it. The laws on the goalkeeper handling the ball are much more complicated, if only because they keep changing the law.

I remember in one of the local leagues both teams botched this up in the same game by first passing the ball back to their own goalkeeper who picked it up, then throwing the ball into the goal keeper who picked it up. About half time, a late arriving player showed up for one of the teams - first time he had a chance to throw the ball in, he called for the keeper, who responded "Freeze! Put the ball down! Put the ball the down and move away slowly!" The poor guy looked crushed as he bewilderedly set the ball gently on the ground and slowly backed away.

The other thing that baffled me about this game was the players all had small balls. Between about 30 players, they had one size five ball, which they kicked into a creek 30 seconds after the start of the game (there was incredibly strong wind that day), and about four or five dozen size four balls - I think half the players in that game coached youth soccer, which made ignorance of the law changes even more inexusable.

Premier League is definitely the best...GO CHELSEA...:wink:

Which league has the cutest players?

arildno said:
La liga! And also Liverpool has a very cute spaniard.:blushing:

Lisa! said:
La liga! And also Liverpool has a very cute spaniard.:blushing:
Spaniards tend to be cute. :approve:

arildno said:
The WUSA had a few nice looking players. And they had some pretty entertaining games, as well. With the increased athletic ability of modern times, I think soccer fields are more appropriately sized for women than for men. A little more open field makes for some better team play.

You see the same thing in hockey. The larger international rinks make for better games than in the cramped NHL rinks.

BobG said:
The WUSA had a few nice looking players.
Hmm..is that because most women athletes are titless? :confused:

BobG said:
What in the world is complicated about the offside law? I've never understood why people have so much trouble understanding it.

The offside situation by itself is not that complicated. What makes it complicated is the "active play" part, by which an offense is commited only when the player in the offside position is interfering with play or interfering with an opponent or gaining an advantage by being in that position.
There are a lot of ways this part can be interpreted and can lead to a lot of confusion.

The last two years I think it would have been the ACC hands down, but even though they're sending 8 teams to bowl games and every game was a battle, the Big-10 might have been better. The SEC was probably top heavier.

Yes, I'm joking.

EL said:
More specific: Which league has the strongest "average" team?
Please post where you're from also.

And I thought you're talking about American football. Or is this soccer? or rugby? - american football with no protection

And I thought you're talking about American football. Or is this soccer? or rugby? - american football with no protection

Not American Football, but Football..

And Rugby is nothing to do with American Football.. Bar you can hold the ball in your hands

I think Anttech is saying European Football (Soccer). Football is what we play over here in the US :smile:

European football? What are you talking about.. Its played everywhere... Bit like your "world series" hahah :rofl:

And keene has just joined celtic yes yes yes yes :-)

Thats Keane.

yeh that'll be him :redface:

The_Professional said:
No, I'm talking about football. As you could see I'm not from America, so I'm not capable of confusing my hands with my feet...:tongue2:

Everyone that's into football knows that La liga is a stronger competition than the Premier League. This poll is biased because the major part of the members of the forum are from english speaking countries. I had doubts between the Serie A and La Liga, because I believe that Serie A is on a par with La Liga. La Liga and Serie A are the best leagues in Europe

And remember that the best footballer of the world, Ronaldinho, plays in Spain...

Last edited:
meteor said:
Everyone that's into football knows that La liga is a stronger competition than the Premier League. This poll is biased because the major part of the members of the forum are from english speaking countries. I had doubts between the Serie A and La Liga, because I believe that Serie A is on a par with La Liga. La Liga and Serie A are the best leagues in Europe
And remember that the best footballer of the world, Ronaldinho, plays in Spain...

Thanks meteor! I agree with your comments, although I picked Serie A as somewhat better than La Liga, but it's really tight...
The others have just fallen for the Premier League propaganda...:smile:

And meteor's not going to be biased at all is he? I don't think there is much too choose between either of the leagues, but in my opinion the premiership is the best because the football that is played is soo open and normally end to end stuff. Will be interesting to see the outcome of Chelsea v Barcelona and Arsenal v Real Madrid. Both of those games will be awesome, haven't a clue who will go through to the next round though.

I'm going to have to say AFC South with the colts and jaguars is the best division. Why would you guys call soccer football? That doesn't make any sense.

Andy said:
And meteor's not going to be biased at all is he?
Well, anyway, I should be biased, in favour of PL!

KingNothing said:
Why would you guys call soccer football? That doesn't make any sense.
Do the words foot and ball say you anything?:rolleyes:

Everyone that's into football knows that La liga is a stronger competition than the Premier League.

why is this? Let's just see whos clubs get the furthest in the ufea and Champions league...

Anttech said:
why is this? Let's just see whos clubs get the furthest in the ufea and Champions league...

You must know that english teams are always praised for their physical strength, but they habitually lack technical skills. However, spanish teams use to be well-skilled.

But you want proofs? Ok, no problem

Here's a nice list portraying the UEFA team ranking for year 2005.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method3/trank2005.html

Let's examine the first 50 teams. I count 10 spanish teams.: R.Madrid, Valencia, Barça, D.Coruña, Villarreal, Celta, Alaves, Zaragoza, Mallorca and Malaga

When I count english teams: oh surprise! only 6: Liverpool, Manchester, Arsenal, Newcastle, Chelsea and Leeds

That's enough? No?, Well, I have this other nice list with the FIFA ranking of national teams. Spain is 5th and England is 9th
http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/index.html

Now the ball is in your court :approve:

Last edited by a moderator:
Look arounf your www site and you will see

first:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method3/tcoef2005.html

second:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method3/ccoef2005.html

third:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method3/crank2005.html

(Spain is better for the past 5 years accumulatively but not this year) and we are talking about the CURRENT EPL.

The ball is now in your goal... 3-1 EPL ;-D

That's enough? No?, Well, I have this other nice list with the FIFA ranking of national teams. Spain is 5th and England is 9th
http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/index.html

what on Earth as that to do with the national league.. clutching straws

Last edited by a moderator:
Anttech said:
what on Earth as that to do with the national league.. clutching straws
You're completely right on this. Just look at Sweden: The leuague sux more than my new vacuum cleaner, but still we'll win the WC!:biggrin:

You're completely right on this. Just look at Sweden: The leuague sux more than my new vacuum cleaner, but still we'll win the WC!
***SNAP*** ***SNAP*** ***SNAP***
wakey wakey EL... Your Dreaming hehe :rofl:

Isn't the jumbo prize a water closet?

(Ouch, that was bad...really bad...:grumpy: )