For all the mechanical engineers whom had working experience in mines, oil rigs

In summary: The demands for mechanical engineers on rigs are definitely high, but I think it is a great opportunity for someone with the right qualifications and mindset. It can be a very rewarding experience, but it is definitely challenging.
enkiduz190
Hi guys, i am about to graduate from my mechanical engineering degree, i am thinking of going into the mining industries, becoming an on-site engineer.
People have been telling me that it's a job that pays VERY WELL, but the downfall is that you will have to be on the site for 6 months every year and the living conditions are like living in a jail cell.
So i would just like to find out from all the people that had worked in the mining industry, just exactly how are the working conditions and do they really pay enough to make it worth while to spend 6 months on the sites every year?
Thanks a lot guys, the informations you provide will be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've spent the past 8 years building/visiting/working on offshore drilling rigs. It does pay extremely well, and not just for people with college degrees.

The living conditions really do vary quite drastically from rig to rig (offshore anyway, never worked on a land unit but I hear they usually live in mobile homes on site or either close by). Most of the rigs that have been built in the past decade have rather nice accommodations relative to seagoing vessels of course. I mean they're not 5 star hotels by any means, but nothing like a jail cell.

The rooms are cleaned daily by the catering staff, and all of the meals are prepared for you "cafeteria style". You generally work 12 hours shifts 7 days a week for anywhere from 2 weeks to 4 weeks (and then your off equal time). It is a rotational schedule.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but what exactly is the job description for an on-site mechanical engineer there? And is it true that there are huge demands for mechanical engineers to work on the rigs?
Thank you very much

enkiduz190 said:
I hope you don't mind me asking, but what exactly is the job description for an on-site mechanical engineer there? And is it true that there are huge demands for mechanical engineers to work on the rigs?
Thank you very much

Normally what happens after you graduate and get hired by a drilling contractor is they put you through their training program. The program varies, but usually consists of you working on the rig in various different capacities for short durations (starting at the bottom and going to the top). Once you finish the program you will have acquired enough operational experience in order to actual work as an engineer in that capacity. "That capacity" is normally you being the on site engineer responsible for all related problem associated with your discipline (and sometimes things that are not your discipline). If the problems are not in your area of expertise, normally you'll just be the lead engineer who is responsible for the project but will consult with the appropriate disciplined engineer (who is normally shore based).

1. What types of projects have you worked on as a mechanical engineer in mines or oil rigs?

As a mechanical engineer in mines and oil rigs, I have worked on a variety of projects such as designing and maintaining equipment, managing safety protocols, and optimizing processes for efficiency.

2. How do you ensure the safety of workers in mines and oil rigs as a mechanical engineer?

Safety is a top priority in the mining and oil industry, and as a mechanical engineer, I have implemented safety protocols, conducted thorough risk assessments, and regularly inspected equipment to ensure the safety of workers.

3. What challenges have you faced as a mechanical engineer in mines or oil rigs?

One of the main challenges I have faced is working in remote and harsh environments, which requires careful planning and problem-solving skills. Additionally, dealing with complex machinery and equipment can also be a challenge.

4. How do you stay updated with industry advancements and regulations as a mechanical engineer in mines or oil rigs?

I regularly attend conferences and workshops related to the mining and oil industry, and I also stay updated with industry publications and regulations. Networking with other engineers and staying in touch with industry experts also helps me stay informed.

5. Can you explain the role of a mechanical engineer in the extraction and processing of natural resources in mines or oil rigs?

As a mechanical engineer, my role is to design, maintain, and optimize equipment used in the extraction and processing of natural resources. This includes everything from drilling equipment to pumps and pipelines, ensuring that the resources are extracted efficiently and safely.