1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

For integer x only, is x! considered a polynomial?

1. Nov 19, 2008 #1

tgt

For integer x only, is x! considered a polynomial?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2008 #2
    Re: x!

no 4char

4. Nov 19, 2008 #3

well,
    x! = x * (x - 1) * (x - 2) * ... * 2 * 1

And for any integer x! = n where n is some integer.

So, is an integer a polynomial?

5. Nov 19, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's a strange response! For any integer, x, x2= n where n is some integer.
    Is an integer a polynomial? No, of course not. But that has nothing at all to do with whether or not x2 is a polynomial, which it is.

x!, for x a positive integer is not a polynomial but for a very different reason: because it does not satisfy the definition of "polynomial".

6. Nov 19, 2008 #5

From Wikipedia:
    A function ƒ of one argument is called a polynomial function if it satisfies

for all arguments x, where n is a nonnegative integer and a0, a1,a2, ..., an are constant coefficients.

I think integer fits this definition since n is allowed to be 0, no?

7. Nov 19, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, you can think of the constant function, whether or not it is an integer, as a polynomial. But that still has nothing to do with the question. Surely you are not confusing a function with a value of the function?

8. Nov 19, 2008 #7

I would think that is exactly what I am doing. I apologize tgt if I mislead you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook