Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

For integer x only, is x! considered a polynomial?

1. Nov 19, 2008 #1

tgt

For integer x only, is x! considered a polynomial?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2008 #2
    Re: x!

no 4char

4. Nov 19, 2008 #3

well,
    x! = x * (x - 1) * (x - 2) * ... * 2 * 1

And for any integer x! = n where n is some integer.

So, is an integer a polynomial?

5. Nov 19, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's a strange response! For any integer, x, x2= n where n is some integer.
    Is an integer a polynomial? No, of course not. But that has nothing at all to do with whether or not x2 is a polynomial, which it is.

x!, for x a positive integer is not a polynomial but for a very different reason: because it does not satisfy the definition of "polynomial".

6. Nov 19, 2008 #5

From Wikipedia:
    A function ƒ of one argument is called a polynomial function if it satisfies

for all arguments x, where n is a nonnegative integer and a0, a1,a2, ..., an are constant coefficients.

I think integer fits this definition since n is allowed to be 0, no?

7. Nov 19, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, you can think of the constant function, whether or not it is an integer, as a polynomial. But that still has nothing to do with the question. Surely you are not confusing a function with a value of the function?

8. Nov 19, 2008 #7

I would think that is exactly what I am doing. I apologize tgt if I mislead you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?