Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

For remember this great man (Karl Friedrich Gauss)

1. Jul 25, 2012 #1
    Karl Friedrich Gauss German mathematician and astronomer (1777–1855) Gauss received a doctoral degree in mathematics from the University of Helmstedt in 1799. In addition to his work in electromagnetism, he made contributions to mathematics and science in number theory, statistics, non-Euclidean geometry, and cometary orbital mechanics. He was a founder of the German Magnetic Union, which studies the Earth’s magnetic field on a continual basis.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2012 #2

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the forum, do you have a question?

4. Jul 25, 2012 #3
    thanx Ryan_m_b

5. Jul 25, 2012 #4

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I want to extend welcome too. I really like Karl Friedrich Gauss!
    Also the picture you have on your personal profile page is very funny. I used the enlargement keystroke (Command Shift +) to make the picture bigger so I could tell what it was.

We should all be like in your picture and do whatever is needed to gain enlightenment :biggrin:

Gauss was thesis-advisor to Georg Riemann who around 1854 gave us the differential manifold with metric and curvature, to be our new machinery of geometry. And that was the machinery that Einstein used as a basis in 1915 to make a new idea of space and time. It was Gauss who helped him decide to make his 1854 presentation on that topic (foundations of geometry).

We are all, in a sense, the students of Gauss's Göttingen...

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  6. Jul 25, 2012 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Apparently, there is no question.

Thread locked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook