For the first time I'm seriously considering suicide.

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation involved the speaker, who had been collecting sports cards for 15-20 years, purchasing a box of cards at a garage sale for $20. The box contained a valuable Michael Jordan rookie card worth $400-800, which the speaker framed. The speaker also met Jon Moreno, who had a brother that collected sports cards and was interested in purchasing the Jordan card for his brother. After some negotiation, the speaker agreed to sell the card for $300 and later sold the rest of the series for an additional $300-400. However, a year later, the speaker was arrested for cashing fraudulent checks given to him by Jon. The speaker spent two weeks in jail and lost his job as a result.
See how much support you have tribdog! The whole forum is behind you! Don't give up hope!

Physics news on Phys.org
:( Good luck, trib.

We're with ya, trib! Hang in there, little buddy! :smile:

Oh, I won't do anything stupid, but this sucks. Thanks for all the support.

Good luck, Tribdog. Hope everything works out for you.

Tribdog : do not let them put you in jail.
You are innocent :approve:

tribdog said:
Oh, I won't do anything stupid, but this sucks. Thanks for all the support.

Well, we can't become lawyers overnight to help as much as you need that, but you sure have our collective ability to search the internet for resources at your disposal.

As someone already pointed out, PDs are overworked, so the more you hand to your PD of research you've already done for them, the more likely they'll be to take notice and take an interest in your case because it means they don't have to do all the legwork on their own.

Good luck tribdog, hope this all works out for ya, think i'll leave off being a dick to you for a while. Have to pick on jimmyp instead!

Hey! Woah... I'm sorry to hear that Trib. My best wishes go to you!

Tribdog: Don't know what to say except that I hope it works out for you. That Moreno guy sounds like a virus, but the legal system sounds lazy/stupid. Sounds like they can't catch the guilty guy, so they settle for the innocent. You can't allow that to happen. Anyway, what right do they have to pester you even once about this? Your taxes pay them to protect you, not hound you.

the number 42 said:
the legal system sounds lazy/stupid. Sounds like they can't catch the guilty guy, so they settle for the innocent. You can't allow that to happen. Anyway, what right do they have to pester you even once about this? Your taxes pay them to protect you, not hound you.

Welcome to America.

franznietzsche said:
Welcome to America.

Yep. Sadly, it seems our laws do far more to protect the guilty than they do the truly innocent. tribdog, if you get convicted, I'm going to be sorely tempted to join Ivan and Tsu on their migration to Canada! I really hope there's some justice left in our justice system.

Moonbear said:
Yep. Sadly, it seems our laws do far more to protect the guilty than they do the truly innocent. tribdog, if you get convicted, I'm going to be sorely tempted to join Ivan and Tsu on their migration to Canada! I really hope there's some justice left in our justice system.

I've seen the magnitude of the idiotism (I hope this exist, otherwise I've created a new word) present in the court systems. I've witnessed them convict without having a shred of evidence, with only the legal, elegant, hogwash from the prosecutor. Keep in mind this was in the South, concerning a computer crime, which most of the South is technically challenged.

In this instance, the convictee was guilty the moment he/she stepped in court, and no evidence was prsented. Wam bam, and an instant conviction is given. Talk about a serious deprivation of human rights, eh? :yuck:

Maybe someday I'll write about it.

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
I'm going to be sorely tempted to join Ivan and Tsu on their migration to Canada!

Hey, its a another party! Should we get another bus? :biggrin:

franznietzsche said:
Welcome to America.

Scarey. We have our problems over here too, but I didn't think it was so accepted in the US. It sounds very unjust, and worrying too.

the number 42 said:
Scarey. We have our problems over here too, but I didn't think it was so accepted in the US. It sounds very unjust, and worrying too.

It is. I've argued many times that the justice system here has serious problems, but 9 timesout of 10 the response i get is: well its better than the alternative! Which really irritates me. What alternative? As opposed to an actually good system?

franznietzsche said:
It is. I've argued many times that the justice system here has serious problems, but 9 timesout of 10 the response i get is: well its better than the alternative! Which really irritates me. What alternative? As opposed to an actually good system?

The concept of innocent until proven guilty just seems to go against human nature I think. How many of you will pass someone being led away in handcuffs by cops and not think, "I wonder what he did wrong?" Do you ever question, "Gee, I wonder if that guy really did what he's being arrested for?" And now we have the same people sitting on juries. Look how easily people can be led to believe evidence exists where there is none, and you start to see the flaws in the system.

I watched some Court TV once upon a time (or some show like that where they tape actual court proceedings). The density of the lawyers was so incredibly frustrating to me. I remember this one lawyer dancing all around a question, asking 10 different things, when there was one clear question that kept jumping into my mind...just answer that one question and your innocence would be obvious (or maybe that person wasn't innocent, so they lawyer purposely avoided the question...I don't know). I don't know how the jury could have decided the case, because the lawyers never asked any of what I thought were the right questions to get straight to the heart of the matter. Maybe they are too busy grand-standing for the cameras on those shows.

I'm just so afraid that's what's going to happen to tribdog. The lawyers and the jury are going to look at his signature and thumbprint on the back of that check and jump to the conclusion he's guilty, when the burden of proof for this case is to show he knew it was a forgery. Is it his handwriting on the "Pay to" line? Or in the "amount" line? If the check cashing place didn't immediately recognize it as a forgery when that's their job to check, how could he have known what to look for? There is no way you can prove he knew it was a forgery when he accepted it and cashed it.

Actually, one thing that might help is that he's used this particular check-cashing place before for his paychecks. It might be suspicious if he never used the place before and then decided that one time to take it to a new place. But if that was his regular venue for cashing checks, it would help show there was nothing unusual about this pattern, that he wasn't going out of his way to avoid recognition, or anything like that.

When you use a check cashing place like that, don't you need to give them an address or something? Afterall, wouldn't they want a way to contact you if there was a problem with the check? If so, shouldn't they have tried contacting you to notify you of the problem?

Who is the one pressing the charges anyway? The check cashing place, or the person whose check was forged, or both? One piece of important evidence would be to show the handwriting on the check "Pay to" line doesn't belong to either the rightful account owner or tribdog, but to the third party who forged the check.

Look into how the original case was dismissed too. Was it dismissed without prejudice, or just dismissed? In the former, that leaves it open to have charges re-filed, but otherwise, you shouldn't be able to be charged more than once for the same thing. If it was dismissed, that should be the end of it. Look carefully how the records reflect the case being dismissed.

tribdog, I'm sure your best bet to proving your innocence, since obviously they don't have to prove your guit, is to look up a handwriting expert, unless you wrote the pay to line on the front, You should have an expert who could testify that the other guy did, if whoever gave you the check wrote your name on it they should be able to tell by comparing that to his signature, which should exist somewhere as he is currently in jail. If they can show that the check was signed by another guy currently in jail for the same crime on multiple charges, I think you have a pretty strong case.

Also, try to find out if you can match the printer that printed it with a printer that printed his other checks, people with records of bank fraud often have a system they go by and if a forensics expert can say that they both came from the same printer, you should also have a strong case.

Good luck, get rid of that dumb defense lawyer, even if you have to pay for another one, it will be worth it, it might cost you a lot more than you ever got for it, try to get that back in civil court, but don't let them take your freeedom.

~Lyuokdea

It certainly looks like the DA has a lousy case, at best, on this one. I've no doubt that tribdog can beat this easy.

Gokul43201 said:
It certainly looks like the DA has a lousy case, at best, on this one. I've no doubt that tribdog can beat this easy.

I sure hope so. But it doesn't sound like his PD is very success or justice oriented.

Gokul43201 said:
The question here would be, what happened when they asked for repayment? The first thing the company would have done is ask for repayment (I would imagine) it seems they would have only pressed charges if their requests for reimbursement of the bad check continued to be ignored?

I actually am in a simular situtation. My car insurance is automatically deducted from my checking account. AAA (don't EVER use them). Instead of deducting $127 for my monthly premium from my account, they deducted $1,270. This caused my house payment to bounce. I contacted my AAA insurance rep that admitted they had made a mistake, but sorry, AAA would not credit my account back electronically, they would have to send me a check. They sent me a check a month later, which after I deposited, their accounting office screwed up and stopped payment on, which caused my car payment to bounce. I am the victim here, I have been without over $1,000 in my bank account that should be there because of AAA's error. I am STILL waiting for AAA to get my money to me. I however have had to repay my bank for the bad check AAA wrote to me. I cashed what turned out to be "bad check". It is MY responsibility to the financial institution to pay them back, even though I did nothing wrong. I payed my bank back. It was tribdog's responsibility to repay the financial institution that cashed that bad check, just like I did. Yes, it caused me a financial hardship, I am still waiting for my money. It's been over two months.

The only difference is that AAA isn't intentially criminal and they will be reimbursing me for all returned check fees, late payment fees as well as a letter of explanantion to the credit bureau and financial institutions involved of their error.

My question is - what steps did the financial institution make to collect the money from tribdog before they turned this over for prosecution? If they made no attempt to collect the money from trib before prosecuting, they may have no case.

I find it hard to believe that if they had contacted tribdog and asked for the money back and he payed them that this would have gone to court.

Last edited:
tribdog can't go to prison! JimmyP would drive us crazy complaining about how much he misses him again! :rofl: The lamentings of JimmyP the last time tribdog disappeared on him just returned to memory, so I had to say it. :biggrin:

But, hey, nowadays, it seems going to prison is in vogue! Maybe you'll meet some really cool celebrities there. :wink: Just don't drop the soap!

If the winner of the Funniest Member contest can't fulfill his obligations, for any reason, do we get to throw the runner up into the volcano instead? :tongue2:

Last edited:
Been a while since tribdogs made a post.. Regardless, best of luck to you tribdog! Fight the power man!

revelator said:
Been a while since tribdogs made a post.. Regardless, best of luck to you tribdog! Fight the power man!

Okay, I'll admit it, I'm not really worried about JimmyP, it's me who's already missing tribdog! And he's only been away two days! :cry: Where will I go for humor if he goes to prison? I've grown fond of the pup!

If tribdog was advised not to pay because it might make him look guilty, those people that advised him need to be shot. I'd rather be "just a victim" than a "victim and in prison".

I hope he works this out quickly. I think paying back the money is the smartest way to go, have the whole thing dropped and chalk it up to a learning experience.

As far as I know, when charged with a felony, one either pays for a lawyer in full or has to deal with the public defender. All pro-bono or sliding-scale legal services only represent misdemeanors, and often not even domestic cases.

tribdog, everyone here who knows you even a little wants justice for you, and not to fear. I pray that the judge recognizes your innocence.