For those aurora chasers -- a heads up

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aurora
In summary: Lights from streetlights and other sources greatly diminish the chances of seeing aurora.Aurora is best viewed away from all light pollution.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
A large coronal hole is about to become geo-effective. Another 24 hrs and it will be face on to earth.
3-4 days from now Auroral activity can be expected in high latitude locations of the northern and southern hemispheres
Nthrn Europe, Canada, nthrn USA. Southern Australia ( mainly Tasmania) and southern South Is. of New Zealand

21106583_114150899287618_3016866392490244366_n.jpg

Dave

Yes, it does look like Italy :biggrin:

Likes Stavros Kiri, stefan r, DrClaude and 2 others
Astronomy news on Phys.org
An update
An official geomagnetic disturbance warning released
tho this released by the Bureau of Meteorology in Australia, it is quite applicable for both high latitude regions of nthrn and sthrn hemispheres

SWS GEOMAGNETIC DISTURBANCE WARNING 17/41
ISSUED AT 2321UT/29 AUGUST 2017
BY THE AUSTRALIAN SPACE FORECAST CENTRE.

Activity is due to recurrent coronal hole. Australia should expect
Unsettled to Active conditions with possible isolated periods
of Minor Storming over Hobart.

INCREASED GEOMAGNETIC ACTIVITY EXPECTED
DUE TO CORONAL HOLE HIGH SPEED WIND STREAM
FROM 31 AUGUST 2017 TO 01 SEPTEMBER 2017

GEOMAGNETIC ACTIVITY FORECAST
31 Aug: Active
01 Sep: Active

Space Weather Services WWW: http://www.sws.bom.gov.au
Bureau of Meteorologycheers
Dave

Likes DrClaude
Lady Aurora was dancing across the far nthrn and sthrn hemisphere skies last nite
haven't seen too many photos from the north as yet ... but have seen many from the south

those of you on facebook may like to check this group out ( not my group, just one I belong to)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/aur...group_comment_reply&notif_id=1504210996200033Solar wind speeds got up to around 650 km/sec at their peakDave

Likes dlgoff
davenn said:
Lady Aurora was dancing across the far nthrn and sthrn hemisphere skies last nite
haven't seen too many photos from the north as yet ... but have seen many from the south

those of you on facebook may like to check this group out ( not my group, just one I belong to)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/aur...group_comment_reply&notif_id=1504210996200033Solar wind speeds got up to around 650 km/sec at their peakDave
It's rainy in my part of the North, so I didn't see anything.

DrClaude said:
It's rainy in my part of the North, so I didn't see anything.
dang :frown: ... but you do live in one of the right regions for aurora observing :smile:

I will continue to post alerts and you hopefully will strike it right one nite

Dave

Looks like, due to the Sun's "flare and CME party" these days (today is Thu 7 Sept, 2017), it's aurora time again. It's good to have an aurora update thread, thanks to Dave! :smile:

Likes davenn
@DrClaude
and anyone else in the far north or far south :smile:

keep an eye on the northern sky over the next couple of nights
The CME from an X9.3 flare should be arriving and is predicted to cause major geomagnetic storm conditionsDave

Likes DrClaude and Stavros Kiri
Severe geomagnetic storm conditions are under way with a Kp = 8
Those in nthrn USA, Canada, Alaska and Europe still in dark hours should be having an outstanding view !

aurora-forecast-northern-hemisphere.jpg

Likes Stavros Kiri
davenn said:
Those in nthrn USA, Canada, Alaska and Europe still in dark hours should be having an outstanding view

Some questions from a complete novice; and in a location probably much too far south:

1) We are at 42° N, roughly middle of New York State. The NOAA animated map at http://www.swpc.noaa.gov seems to suggest that visibility will extend, at best, only to the very top of New York State. This is with Kp = 8, from what I read. E.g. from looking at this page explaining the Kp index, it seems as if Kp = 9 is as high as the index has gone historically; might that be enough to get down to 42° N?

2) If we got lucky and visibility might extend as far as south as we are for a big event, how good a horizon to the north would we need?

3) I'm assuming that both light pollution (we are in a rural suburb, a good deal of light pollution to the east of us) and moonlight would be hostile to seeing a faint phenomenon? We have nearly a full moon at present, up all night.

Thanks -

Last edited:
Likes Stavros Kiri
UsableThought said:
3) If we got lucky and visibility might extend as far as south as we are for a big event, how good a horizon to the north would we need?

extending just brings it right overhead
otherwise under these conditions you would have probably have seen it well above the horizon

UsableThought said:
4) I'm assuming that both light pollution (we are in a rural suburb, a good deal of light pollution to the east of us) and moonlight would be hostile to seeing a faint phenomenon? We have nearly a full moon at present, up all night.

yes they are ... need a reasonably dark site away from all the street lights. At it peak, 4 - 5 hrs ago (post#8)
it would have been well visible and probably with easy colour

I have seen some nice aurora pix even with a bright moonDave

Likes Stavros Kiri and UsableThought
davenn said:
Severe geomagnetic storm conditions are under way with a Kp = 8
Those in nthrn USA, Canada, Alaska and Europe still in dark hours should be having an outstanding view !
I live at the edge of the red region on the map, but the forecast for the next few days is rain :cry:

DrClaude said:
I live at the edge of the red region on the map, but the forecast for the next few days is rain :cry:

that would have put the aurora right overhead ... was it cloudy for you tonite ?

grrrr,

davenn said:
. At it peak, 4 - 5 hrs ago (post#8)
it would have been well visible and probably with easy colour

Thanks for the info! A page at SpaceWeatherLive.com explains "high" vs. "medium" altitude; the graphic from that page makes it seem like we might squeeze into "medium"; so might get lucky now & then:

en_1-jpg.jpg

Beyond that it seems like timing is everything. Is there a single best page or pages for the latest forecast? Presently I get up pretty early in the morning so it would be easy to check; but there are MANY forecast pages and at the moment I find it hard to sort them out.

davenn said:
that would have put the aurora right overhead ... was it cloudy for you tonite ?

grrrr,
The rain started yesterday evening...

UsableThought said:
Thanks. A page at SpaceWeatherLive.com explains "high" vs. "medium" altitude; the graphic from that page makes it seem like we might squeeze into "medium".

here's a list of areas in USA that it was visible ...

The storm was still going strong as night fell over North America. For a while, Northern Lights spilled across the Canadian border into the USA as far south as Arkansas--in addition to Maine, Connecticut, New York, Kentucky, Indiana, Missouri, Delaware, Michigan, North Carolina, Ohio, North and South Dakota, and other states. Photographer Chris Cook sends this picture from the Atlantic coast of Massachusetts:
DrClaude said:
The rain started yesterday evening...
that is so frustrating :frown:

Likes UsableThought
davenn said:
The storm was still going strong as night fell over North America. For a while, Northern Lights spilled across the Canadian border into the USA as far south as Arkansas

Very cool.

To answer my own question about "best place to look for forecast," I realized after asking it that of course small developers for iPad, iPhone, etc. would have a slew of aurora forecast apps; and indeed this is the case. A couple of them actually seem useful.

Tonight (night of Sept. 8) it looks like there may be chances again shortly after dark; though perhaps not as strong. The forecast is for "mostly clear" by then.

Likes Stavros Kiri
Currently, according to SpaceWeatherLive.com:

"Current data suggest that there is a decent possibility that aurora can be seen now at middle latitudes"

Stavros Kiri said:
Current data suggest that there is a decent possibility that aurora can be seen now at middle latitudes

Raining . . .

Stavros Kiri said:
:sorry: the chance has past now anyway, for now (at least for middle lattitudes + AR2673 will be rotating out of view very soon). Here is a nice informative review article:
https://www.space.com/38098-solar-flares-cmes-sunspot-ar2673.html?utm_source=notification

Thanks, that's a good article.

So I guess we are now heading towards a solar minimum; thus not very likely we'll see a lot of aurora activity for many years, unless there are surprises? I found an article about trends in flare activity, headlined "The Weakest Solar Cycle in 100 Years": https://www.vencoreweather.com/blog...entury-now-heading-towards-next-solar-minimum

Also, as part of self-education for sky watching & stargazing on an extremely modest scale, I got an interesting used textbook, published in 1996 by U. of Cambridge, The Ever-Changing Sky, by James Kaler; it was written to be an accessible, relatively non-mathematical text, and is apparently still used today in some college-level astronomy classes. Kaler has this to say about solar cycles & resulting auroras:

. . . aurorae are generally seen at middle latitudes, where most of us live, only near peak sunspot activity within the 11-year cycle. The cycle itself is highly variable: one maximum can be great, with a huge number of spots and flares, the next may be drab and relatively uninteresting. The reason for the variation is unknown. Intense activity, with wonderful displays, was seen in the late 1940s and especially in the 1959-60 solar peak. For a period of a few months the northern lights could be seen in the populated regions of southern Canada and the northern United States nearly every night. The early 1970 maximum was greatly reduced; however; 1990 was better, and some lovely displays were seen during the 1991-1992 maximum.​

Likes Stavros Kiri
UsableThought said:
So I guess we are now heading towards a solar minimum ...
Thanks also for the sources.
This recent activity was/is perhaps a last break out before final down hill ...

Edit update note:
On editing this, just a few minutes ago, another strong M3.79 flare from sunspot region 2673. So hopes for more aurora in a couple of days (max 3) !

Last edited:
Stavros Kiri said:
Thanks also for the sources.
This recent activity was/is perhaps a last break out before final down hill ...

Edit update note:
On editing this, just a few minutes ago, another strong M3.79 flare from sunspot region 2673. So hopes for more aurora in a couple of days (max 3) !
not likely ... see my comment in your thread :wink:

(From spaceweather.com)

"CME ARRIVES, SPARKS MINOR STORM:Arriving earlier than expected, the flank of a CME hit Earth's magnetic field on Sept. 12th (~20:00 UT), and the impact has sparked a minor G1-class geomagnetic storm. Shortly after the CME's arrival, Natalia Robba photographed an outburst of auroras over Kalfafell, Iceland:

iceland_strip.jpg

"We were on the lookout for the CME," says Robba. "We got some lovely coronas directly overhead, and lots of activity all over the sky. It didn't hold for long but it was just beautiful!"

NOAA forecasters say the storm could intensify to G2-class on Sept. 13th when a solar wind stream unrelated to the CME arrives. If so, auroras in the USA could appear as low as New York to Wisconsin to Washington state."

UsableThought said:
So I guess we are now heading towards a solar minimum; thus not very likely we'll see a lot of aurora activity for many years, unless there are surprises?

No, there will still be lots of aurora to view. only a small number of aurora and usually the larger ones are spawned by solar flares
some 95% or more are caused by material spewed out by coronal holes. These are occurring on a regular basis and many coronal holes last more than one solar rotation meaning that we can see regular activity month after month of rotations.Dave

Likes UsableThought and Stavros Kiri
Heads up for minor auroral activity 15 - 16th Sept

A recurrent coronal hole is causing unsettled to active geomagnetic conditions
This will produce some auroral activity in the higher latitudes. And now that the moon is out of the evening sky
seeing the fainter aurora will be less of an issueDave

Likes DrClaude and Stavros Kiri
Space Weather News for Sept. 14, 2017
http://spaceweather.com
https://www.facebook.com/spaceweatherdotcom

"SOLAR WIND SPARKS GEOMAGNETIC STORM: Earth is entering a stream of high-speed solar wind flowing from a hole in the sun's atmosphere. First contact with the stream on Sept. 14th produced a moderately strong (G2-class) geomagnetic storm, ongoing at the time of this alert. If the storm continues, high-latitude sky watchers could see auroras after local nightfall on Sept. 14/15. Visit Spaceweather.com for more information and updates."

Last edited:
Likes 1oldman2
A large coronal hole has now become geo-effective
Those of your in high latitude locations, expect probable strong auroral activity in around 3 days time ... 27 - 30th of Sept

170924 current coronal holes.JPG

@DrClaudecheers
Dave

Likes UsableThought and DrClaude
Two aurora spectacular videos from the ISS (past events):

Likes davenn
A middle latitude follow-up on @davenn's post #28 about the high latitudes . . .

Not exactly promising, but SpaceWeatherLive.com's forecast as of this afternoon seems to indicate there's a very slim chance that some few at middle latitudes (I'm at 42 degrees N) could see auroras early Thursday night - Kp index of 6, with K index of 5 for middle latitudes. (They say on their explainer page about latitudes that "middle latitudes need a Kp-index from about 4 to 7 depending on where you are.")

Unfortunately that's probably not enough of an index, plus the weather forecast where I am is for partly cloudy, which if my luck holds will mean totally cloudy in the north; also the trees over at the north of the big field where I go are no doubt hastily growing even taller, just so they can block the horizon a bit more than they already do.

chart.jpeg

Last edited:
Likes davenn
@UsableThought: What is the time zone?

Still crappy weather here...

DrClaude said:
@UsableThought: What is the time zone?

The chart is UTC. And the forecast seems to still be the same - 00h to 03h UTC on 9/28 as the best shot.

And I'm glad you asked, because I had forgotten to adjust for my own local time zone. Unless my bath is mad - I mean, my math is bad - the UTC forecast translates to 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. on 9/27 where I am in New York.

A strong geomagnetic storm is under way with a planetary K index of 7
current_conditions.jpg

spacer.gif

Solar wind
speed: 665.7 km/sec
density: 10.2 protons/cm3
more data: ACE, DSCOVR
Updated: Today at 0832 UT
aurora-forecast-northern-hemisphere.jpg

aurora-forecast-southern-hemisphere.jpg

Keep an eye on the far northern or far southern skies if you live in higher latitudes
There is a reasonable chance of auroral activity or the 7th and 8th due to the Earth
entering a higher speed solar wind stream from a coronal holecheers
Dave

New Aurora alert ...

SWS GEOMAGNETIC DISTURBANCE WARNING 17/49
ISSUED AT 0232UT/10 OCTOBER 2017
BY THE AUSTRALIAN SPACE FORECAST CENTRE.

A recurrent positive polarity Northern hemisphere coronal hole will soon reach geoeffective location on the solar disk. A possible
co-rotating interaction region associated with the coronal hole is expected to effect Earth from late UT day 10 October. On the
subsequent two days (11-12 October) very high solar wind streams are expected to emanate from the coronal hole. Active to Minor
Storm conditions may occur provided IMF Bz turned strongly southward for a prolonged period.

INCREASED GEOMAGNETIC ACTIVITY EXPECTED
DUE TO CORONAL HOLE HIGH SPEED WIND STREAM
FROM 11-12 OCTOBER 2017

GEOMAGNETIC ACTIVITY FORECAST
11 Oct: Active to Minor Storm
12 Oct: Active to Minor Storm

this is the coronal hole being referred to ...

upload_2017-10-10_21-21-19.png
Dave

<h2>1. What is an aurora?</h2><p>An aurora, also known as the northern or southern lights, is a natural light display in the Earth's sky. It is caused by charged particles from the sun interacting with the Earth's magnetic field.</p><h2>2. When and where can I see the aurora?</h2><p>The aurora can be seen in both the northern and southern hemispheres, typically near the Earth's poles. The best time to see them is during the winter months, when the nights are longer and darker. It is also important to be in a location with minimal light pollution.</p><h2>3. How do I know when there will be an aurora?</h2><p>There are several tools and resources available to help predict when an aurora may occur. These include space weather websites, aurora forecast apps, and social media groups dedicated to aurora chasing. It is important to also monitor the weather conditions in your area for clear skies.</p><h2>4. What should I bring with me when I go aurora chasing?</h2><p>It is important to dress warmly and bring extra layers, as aurora viewing often takes place in cold temperatures. It is also recommended to bring a camera with a tripod to capture the lights, as well as snacks and water for longer excursions.</p><h2>5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when viewing the aurora?</h2><p>Yes, it is important to always prioritize safety when viewing the aurora. This includes dressing appropriately for the weather, staying in designated viewing areas, and being aware of your surroundings. It is also recommended to bring a flashlight and to let someone know where you will be and when you plan to return.</p>

1. What is an aurora?

An aurora, also known as the northern or southern lights, is a natural light display in the Earth's sky. It is caused by charged particles from the sun interacting with the Earth's magnetic field.

2. When and where can I see the aurora?

The aurora can be seen in both the northern and southern hemispheres, typically near the Earth's poles. The best time to see them is during the winter months, when the nights are longer and darker. It is also important to be in a location with minimal light pollution.

3. How do I know when there will be an aurora?

There are several tools and resources available to help predict when an aurora may occur. These include space weather websites, aurora forecast apps, and social media groups dedicated to aurora chasing. It is important to also monitor the weather conditions in your area for clear skies.

4. What should I bring with me when I go aurora chasing?

It is important to dress warmly and bring extra layers, as aurora viewing often takes place in cold temperatures. It is also recommended to bring a camera with a tripod to capture the lights, as well as snacks and water for longer excursions.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when viewing the aurora?

Yes, it is important to always prioritize safety when viewing the aurora. This includes dressing appropriately for the weather, staying in designated viewing areas, and being aware of your surroundings. It is also recommended to bring a flashlight and to let someone know where you will be and when you plan to return.