For WW1 & WW2 History Buffs

• Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date

Drakkith

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2018 Award
This week... the war ends.

The BBC World at War series was preceded in the early 60s with a WW1 series called The Great War (which is up on YouTube) . They were able to include many veterans, who at that time were in their 70s
Thank you for the information! I had seen World at War (and I have it home), but I did not know about the series The Great War so I will definitely check it out!

Last edited:
I was very much into 20th century history before, including WW1 and WW2. Well, I am still into history, but not so much the world wars anymore since I've consumed so much about them before. Since I think there are other people with similar interests that read this thread, I wanted to share some links regarding WW1 and WW2 (mostly WW2) which are about series, books and photos I've enjoyed over the years. I may remember some more things that I'd like to share, and if so I will post more in this thread.

Here are the links:

TV series:
Books:

(these are quite famous)

William L. Shirer:
Antony Beevor:
Cornelius Ryan:
Photos:

(please note that the WW1 color photos are real, they are not colorized!)

Last edited:

pinball1970

Gold Member
I was very much into 20th century history before, including WW1 and WW2. Well, I am still into history, but not so much the world wars anymore since I've consumed so much about them before. Since I think there are other people with similar interests that read this thread, I wanted to share some links regarding WW1 and WW2 (mostly WW2) which are about series, books and photos I've enjoyed over the years. I may remember some more things that I'd like to share, and if so I will post more in this thread.

Here are the links:

TV series:
Books:
Peter Jackson (Lord of the rings) is bringing out a film called "they shall not grow old." It looks interesting

BWV

Tik has a great WW2 history channel on YouTube

I just want to notify readers of this thread of an incredible color (!) video of the WW2 Normandy Invasion (D-day) I posted in this new thread.

7 December 1941
Pearl Harbor Attack

I wasn't born yet, but my Father and Mother were there when the bombs hit Pearl Harbor. My father was an electrical engineer and my mother was there too. They married later in life and I was born in Oahu. I have the
newspapers from that war!

It is impossible to make any sense at all of WW II without a hard look at WW i and even the period before that time. It all ties together.

Is it true that the Japanese Ambassador to Washington was unable to deliver the Declaration of War against
the US in time before Pearl Harbor because of delays in decoding the said text sent from Tokyo ?
My grandfather stayed behind in the Red Cross when Singapore fell . The British sappers could not even
successfully blow up the causeway from mainland Malaya .

I thought it would be a good idea to share a trailer of the upcoming WW1 movie, "1917" here... I am very much looking forward to see it.

BWV

Looking forward to it as well, hope it doesn’t suck

This was a good relatively recent WW1 film, about the mining of Messine Ridge, the largest man made explosion until Trinity

This was a good relatively recent WW1 film, about the mining of Messine Ridge, the largest man made explosion until Trinity
Thanks, it looks interesting, I will definitely check it out!

BWV

I suppose that Germany and the USSR were just reestablishing the 1914 Borders which reflected their 18th century partition of Poland

The Soviet Union long denied that the secret protocol to the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact – which was signed on 23 August 1939 – ever existed, only acknowledging and denouncing it in 1989 under Mikhail Gorbachev. Now, Russia has sought to normalise the non-aggression pact, arguing that the treaty had been taken “out of context” of the vicious realpolitik of 1930s Europe.