For z = x+iy find the relationship between x and y

• Thread starter mardybum9182
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relationship
Re(x+iy)^2+i Im(x+iy)^2=Re(x^2-2xyi-y^2)+i Im(x^2-2xyi-y^2)= x^2-y^2+2xyi= (x+y)^2= Re(x^2+2xyi-y^2)+i Im(x^2+2xyi-y^2)=Re((x+iy)^2)+i Im((x+iy)^2)In summary, (x+iy)^2 can be rewritten in polar form as (x+y)^2.
mardybum9182
OP warned about not having made an attempt at a solution
Homework Statement
For z = x + iy find the relationship between x and y so that (Imz^2)/z^2=-i.
Relevant Equations
modulus
(x+iy)^2 = x^2 + i2xy - y^2

Likes PhDeezNutz
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with "polar form" of a complex number? i.e. Euler's Identity? Using this approach my result is that ##x=y##

I'll get you started.

Here are some basic formulas. You can derive them if you want or you can just accept them for the time being.

##z = re^{i \theta} = r \cos \theta + i r \sin \theta##

##\text{Im} \left(z\right) = \frac{re^{i \theta} - re^{-i \theta}}{2i}##

##z^2 = r^2 e^{i 2 \theta}##

##\text{Im} \left( z^2\right) =##?

##\frac{\text{Im} \left(z^2 \right)}{z^2} = ##? (You should get ##-i##)

Equate the real parts to the real parts, the imaginary parts to the imaginary parts and go from there.

You should get ##\theta = \frac{\pi}{4}##

Likes mardybum9182
mardybum9182 said:
(x+iy)^2 = x^2 + i2xy - y^2
=Rez^2+i Imz^2, so you know both numerator and denominator.  

Likes PhDeezNutz

1. What is the relationship between x and y when z is a complex number?

The relationship between x and y in a complex number z = x+iy is that x and y are the real and imaginary parts of the complex number, respectively. This means that x represents the horizontal component and y represents the vertical component on the complex plane.

2. How can I find the value of x and y when given a complex number z?

To find the values of x and y in a complex number z = x+iy, you can use the real and imaginary parts of the complex number. The real part, x, can be found by taking the horizontal distance from the origin on the complex plane, while the imaginary part, y, can be found by taking the vertical distance from the origin.

3. Can x and y have negative values in a complex number?

Yes, x and y can have negative values in a complex number. This is because the complex plane is a two-dimensional graph, and the values of x and y can be plotted in any quadrant, including the negative ones.

4. How does the value of x and y affect the magnitude of a complex number?

The value of x and y do not directly affect the magnitude of a complex number. The magnitude, or absolute value, of a complex number is found by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary parts (|z| = √(x² + y²)). However, the values of x and y do determine the direction of the complex number on the complex plane.

5. Is there a specific formula for finding the relationship between x and y in a complex number?

Yes, the formula for finding the relationship between x and y in a complex number z = x+iy is z = x+iy, where x and y are the real and imaginary parts of the complex number, respectively. This formula represents the standard form of a complex number, where x is the real part and iy is the imaginary part multiplied by the imaginary unit, i.