Force in muscles supporting Achilles tendon at 29° to vertical

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
oh-jcb
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Studies of gymnasts show that their high rate of injuries to the Achilles tendon is due to tensions in the tendon that typically reach 9.0 times body weight. That force is provided by a pair of muscles, each exerting a force at 29∘ to the vertical, with their horizontal components opposite.

For a 54-kg gymnast, find the force in each of these muscles.

Homework Equations



I imagine it has something to do with a free body diagram.

The Attempt at a Solution


I don't know what forces I should include, if I should break up force into x and y components.

Any help is appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I imagine it has something to do with a free body diagram.
Good imagination there - that would help. However, this is just a vector sum problem. You have two forces that have to add up to a third force.
The geometry has been described - the exercize is to translate the wordy description into a picture of a triangle.

I don't know what forces I should include, if I should break up force into x and y components.
... what forces are mentioned? What forces are asked for?