Force needed to unroll toilet paper from a cylinder on a wall

  • Thread starter Thread starter 2013
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Power Traction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
73 replies · 13K views
2013 said:
M1=Fr*R
M2=Fz*R
M1=M2
Fz=Fr

Is this right?
It could be, depending on which option you are adopting for the signs on the forces. Please choose one.
Also I'm not quite sure which of the two cases we're discussing here. In my previous post I was assuming the hanging paper is next to the wall.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I would like to choose option 3.

I don´t know which case we discuss already, but I thought we speak about where the paper is hanging over.
But I need both cases, because I should say which is from the physical side better.
 
2013 said:
I would like to choose option 3.

I don´t know which case we discuss already, but I thought we speak about where the paper is hanging over.
But I need both cases, because I should say which is from the physical side better.

OK.
Fz = Fr is correct with that option, and Fn = T*sin(θ).
But Fz+Fg = Fr+T*cos(θ) only applies to one of the two cases. Can you tell me which case it applies to (hang next to wall or hang away from wall), and what the equation is for the other case?
 
It applies to when the paper hang next to the wall.

hang away from wall:
?
 
2013 said:
It applies to when the paper hang next to the wall.

hang away from wall:
?
Consider which way Fr acts when the paper hangs away from the wall.
 
2013 said:
Fr acts the same way like Fz.
Both acts down.
Yes, so how does that change the equation for vertical forces?
 
It is easier to pull when the paper hang near to the wall.

because by the first equation:
Fz+Fg=Fr+T*cos(θ)

we can cut out Fr and Fz:
Fg=T*cos(θ)Is this the solution for my task?
I asked myself where ever the difference is between the two processes and it is just the point of action, is different.
I must not calculate the force acting when the paper is not on the wall, on the wall by the pulling force?
 
2013 said:
It is easier to pull when the paper hang near to the wall.

because by the first equation:
Fz+Fg=Fr+T*cos(θ)
Yes.
we can cut out Fr and Fz:
Fg=T*cos(θ)
True, but it's the two values of Fz that you need to compare.
Is this the solution for my task?
I asked myself where ever the difference is between the two processes and it is just the point of action, is different.
I must not calculate the force acting when the paper is not on the wall, on the wall by the pulling force?
In the OP you wrote
Determine the force with which you have to pull the two Aufhängearten
which suggests you are actually supposed to determine the two values of Fz (as functions of the given variables). But since this is a translation it's hard for me to be sure.
 
Yes, you've understood the task.

haruspex said:
True, but it's the two values of Fz that you need to compare.

How can I compare the two different equations?
I'm finished or have I to do something?
 
2013 said:
How can I compare the two different equations?
You have
(1) Fn = T*sin(θ)
(2) Fr = Fn*μ
(3) Fz = Fr
(4) sin(θ) = R/L
When hanging paper next to wall:
(5A) Fz+Fg = Fr+T*cos(θ)
When hanging paper away from wall:
(5B) Fz+Fg+Fr = T*cos(θ)
The given data are Fg, L and R, so for each case you want an equation involving only those and Fz. Try using (1)-(4) and (5A) to get such an equation.