Force on a Magnet - Current Carrying Wire

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the force and torque on a bar magnet placed near a wire carrying a current. The relevant equations are also mentioned. The correct formula for determining the force is F=qvB, not F=BIl. The distance between the poles and the distance from the wire to the pole are not used in this formula.
teme92

Homework Statement

A bar magnet, with pole strength 0.1 Wb and magnetic length (i.e. distance between the poles) of 5 cm, is placed so that one pole is 2 cm and the other 6 cm from a long, straight wire carrying a current of 6 Amps. The magnet lies in a plane perpendicular to the wire. Find the force on each pole of the magnet (indicating its direction on a diagram). What is the torque on the magnet about the axis of the wire

Homework Equations

F=qvB
F=BIl
B=[itex]\mu[/itex]0I/2[itex]\pi[/itex]R
[itex]\phi[/itex]=BA

The Attempt at a Solution

So I said:

F=BIl and B=[itex]\mu[/itex]0I/2[itex]\pi[/itex]R, therefore:

F=[itex]\mu[/itex]0I2l/2[itex]\pi[/itex]R

In this formula is l the distance between the poles and R the distance the pole is from the wire? Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Neither - afaict it's the wrong equation for the problem.
How do you determine the force on a magnetic pole due to a magnetic field?

1. What is the relationship between force and current in a current-carrying wire?

The force on a current-carrying wire is directly proportional to the strength of the current passing through it. This means that as the current increases, the force on the wire also increases.

2. How does the direction of current affect the force on a magnet?

The direction of the current in a wire will determine the direction of the force on the magnet. If the current is flowing in the same direction as the magnetic field, the force will be attractive. If the current is flowing in the opposite direction, the force will be repulsive.

3. Can the length of a current-carrying wire affect the force on a magnet?

Yes, the length of the wire can affect the force on a magnet. The longer the wire, the greater the force on the magnet. This is because a longer wire allows for more electrons to flow, resulting in a stronger current and therefore a stronger force on the magnet.

4. What is the role of the magnetic field in determining the force on a current-carrying wire?

The magnetic field is essential in determining the force on a current-carrying wire. The strength of the magnetic field will affect the strength of the force on the wire, and the direction of the magnetic field will determine the direction of the force on the wire.

5. Does the material of the wire affect the force on a magnet?

Yes, the material of the wire can affect the force on a magnet. Materials with higher conductivity, such as copper, will result in a stronger current and therefore a stronger force on the magnet. Additionally, the material of the wire can also affect the resistance and therefore the amount of current flowing, which will also impact the force on the magnet.