1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force on a point charge due to a sphere

1. Mar 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An insulated conducting sphere of radius ##R##, carrying a total charge of ##Q##, is in the field of a point charge ##q## of the same sign. Assume ##q\ll Q##. Calculate and plot the force exerted by the sphere on ##q## as a function of distance from the center. In particular, for ##q/Q = 0.1##, calculate the point at which the direction of force reverses.

2. Relevant equations
    The electric field due a point charge $$E_\mathrm{pt} = \frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_0 r^2}$$
    $$\Phi(r,\theta) = \sum\limits_{l=0}^\infty \left(A_l r^l + \frac{B_l}{r^{l+1}}\right) P_l\left(\cos{\theta}\right)$$
    $$\vec{E} = -\vec{\nabla}\Phi$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    So since the solution is wanted as a function of distance from the center of the sphere, I am using the legendre solutions to laplace's equation. The boundary conditions are ##\Phi(R,\theta) = 0## and ##E_\mathrm{in} -E_\mathrm{out} = -\sigma/\epsilon_0 \implies E_\mathrm{point} - \nabla_r \Phi =-\frac{4\pi R^2}{\epsilon_0}##
    Then once the boundary conditions are satisfied then the force is just ##F = qE_\mathrm{sphere}##.

So for the potential of the sphere:
    $$\Phi(r) = A_0 + \frac{B_0}{r}$$
    $$\Phi(R) = 0 = A_0 + \frac{B_0}{R}\implies B_0 = -A_0 R\implies \Phi(r) = A_0\left(1-\frac{R}{r}\right)$$
    $$E_\mathrm{sphere} = -\frac{2 A_0 R}{r^2}$$
    Then, applying the boundary conditions at the surface of the sphere:
    $$\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_0 R^2} + \frac{2 A_0}{R} = -\frac{4\pi R^2 Q}{\epsilon_0}\implies A_0 = \frac{-q + 16\pi^2 R^4 Q}{8\pi\epsilon_0 R}$$

Then,
    $$E_\mathrm{sphere} = \frac{1}{r^2}\left(\frac{q + 16\pi^2 Q R^4}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\right)$$
    Then from here I would just do force by multiplying by ##q## of the point charge and then find the point at which the force reverses.

Alot to take in, but does this seem correct thus far?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Where does that come from? I think the idea of the conducting sphere is the non-uniform charge distribution. The electric field and therefore the potential should depend on θ.

4. Mar 8, 2015 #3
    Right, then I don't see how I can get the constants ##A_1, B_1## with only two boundary conditions.
    Thats why I only chose to keep ##l = 0## terms.

5. Mar 8, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There are formulas how a charge q at some distance L will influence charges on a conducting sphere. It's possible to derive them but I guess that is not necessary here.
    Q does not matter for this induced charge.

6. Mar 8, 2015 #5
    Is this method correct that I am using? Or should I use an image method here?

7. Mar 8, 2015 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your method is not incorrect, but it involves an infinite series. I would try the image method first.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted