1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force on wire due to magnetic field

1. Apr 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A straight segment of a current-carrying wire has a current element IL where I = 2.70 A and L = 2.60 cm i + 4.40 cm j. The segment is in a region with a uniform magnetic field given by 1.36 T i. Find the force on the segment of wire. (Give the x, y, and z components.)

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\theta = tan^{-1}(y/x)[/tex]

[tex]F = ILBsin\theta[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Well I am pretty sure there will be no x or y component because the force will be perpendicular in the z direction.

To find the z component I found the angle between the wire and the mag field using:

[tex]tan^{-1}(4.4/2.6) = 59.421[/tex]

After that I thought you are just supposed to plug everything in:

[tex]2.7A * .05111m * 1.36 * sin(59.421) = .1615N[/tex]

But it's wrong!! I'm not sure what I am doing wrong, the book I am using isn't very good ad explaining. I'm sure it's something simple that I am just overlooking.

Thanks,
    Nick
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2009 #2
    CANCEL that. I just had the wrong sign. I understand why it should be negative now. This thread can be deleted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?