Force that a car-mounted flag would produce

• Automotive
  • Thread starter kspabo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discusses the force exerted on a welded bracket by a 15-pound flag mounted on a car during a braking scenario. The use of F=ma is considered but deemed incorrect due to unrealistic numbers. The drag of the flag is mentioned as a key factor, as well as the potential for tattering and twisting forces on the bracket. Several resources and methods for calculating the force and designing the bracket are suggested, including using wind speed ratings for flagpoles and considering alternative bracket designs.
kspabo
Let's say I have a 15-lb flag that is mounted to a car on a welded bracket. I want to know the general force the flag will exert on the bracket (neglecting flex in the flag, assuming uniform weight throughout) in the scenario of let's say braking at max speed (as this is the most simple situation to calculate this). You're going 75 MPH, slam on the brakes and stop within 3 seconds.

I tried doing some really simple hand calcs myself (f=ma=m*dv/dt) but I realize this is the incorrect method (as my numbers were unrealistic)

To give you a better idea of why, I'm trying to design a flag mount for a car that pivots and has a lock pin the keeps it in position. I'm looking to see the chance of failure in this pin.

Engineering news on Phys.org
F=ma is fine for braking. Use SI units if you want neat unit conversions.

Torque will probably be more important than the force.

A 15 pound flag? What is the expected drag of this massive flag?

The worst-case force on the bracket will be induced by drag on the flag, not the stopping force during deceleration. I recommend estimating the drag of the flag and pole and then design your bracket with a strong safety factor from there.

This page looks useful..

https://www.lmnoeng.com/Force/DragForce.php

..but you would have to review the paper on which its based. For example I don't know if it gives you an average drag force or a peak drag force due to the fluttering of the flag.

Your problem is analogous to sizing a flagpole based on flag size and wind speed.

You didn't say how high your flagpole is that is key because you create a twisting force on the bracket with a long lever arm.. I'm guessing a 6x10 flag weighs about 15 pounds. It would have been better for you to give the flag size.

Here is a table of flagpole wind speed ratings that may be helpful. https://www.eaglemountainflag.com/content/flagpolewind

The shortest one in the table for a 6x10 flag is a 7 inch diameter0 pole with 0.156" walls. In other words huge. But that's for 40 feet pole rated for 120 mph and bedded in the ground with cement.

How to scale that down to a 6 foot pole rated 75 mph welded to the car? Multiply by ##(6/40)*(75/120)^2=0.06##? I'm not sure.

Maybe you could search for banner bracket ratings. The kinds of brackets used to attach banners to utility poles.

For a completely different approach that suggests much thinner flag poles, consider this crazy. The forces he's holding look pretty modest.

Related to Force that a car-mounted flag would produce

1. What is the force that a car-mounted flag would produce?

The force that a car-mounted flag would produce is primarily determined by the speed of the car and the size and shape of the flag. As the car moves forward, air molecules collide with the surface of the flag, creating a force known as air resistance or drag.

2. How does the size and shape of the flag affect the force it produces?

The larger and more aerodynamic the flag, the greater the force it will produce. A larger flag will have a larger surface area for air molecules to collide with, while a more streamlined shape will reduce drag and increase the force.

3. Does the material of the flag make a difference in the force it produces?

Yes, the material of the flag can affect the force it produces. A heavier material will create more drag and therefore a greater force, while a lighter material will create less drag and a smaller force. The texture of the material can also impact the force by creating more or less turbulence.

4. How does the speed of the car affect the force produced by a car-mounted flag?

The faster the car is moving, the greater the force produced by the flag. This is because the air molecules are moving at a higher speed and therefore collide with the flag with more force, creating a larger air resistance force.

5. Is the force produced by a car-mounted flag constant or does it change?

The force produced by a car-mounted flag is not constant and can vary depending on factors such as the speed of the car, the size and shape of the flag, and the material of the flag. It also changes as the car accelerates, decelerates, or changes direction.