Forces applied to secure points

In summary, the conversation is discussing a setup involving an 'A' frame with two legs attached to a deck, moved by hydraulic rams and a winch. The question is about the load capacity and distribution on the mounting points. A diagram and more details are needed for a proper calculation, which should be done by a competent engineer for safety reasons. Regular inspections and tests are also important for safety.
jingojamie
Firslty I should explain that I am neither a highly qualified engineer or physicist howver I am hopefull one of you out there might be able to help.

We have an 'A' frame with two legs attached to the deck on pins, the 'A' Frame is moved forward and backwards by two hydrualic rams positioned behind the frame and operating on each leg, the rams are mounted on pedestals behind the leg pivot points, again attached to the deck.

A winch is used to pull a wire through a block, the winch is mounted between the legs of the 'A' frame. The wire goes to the head of the frame and then down into a moon pool where the load is suspended. The head of the frame is positioned perpendicular to the CL of the moonpool with its mounting points behind it.

To calculate the SWL at the head of the frame I would normally look at the lead angle of the wire and the load giving a mutliplying factor of around 1.75t at the head.

My question is, does the load on the mounting points get spread over all 4 (two with the rams and two with the frame pivots)?

My overall intention is to determine the maximum load lift the setup can maintain but I am not sure what effect the 4 point mounts have on the overall load capacity.

Engineering news on Phys.org
jingojamie: Can you post a dimensioned diagram of the system? Also show the wire "lead" angle, all pulleys, and explain what is 1.75t. The forces on the system are found using statics.

We have an 'A' frame with two legs attached to the deck on pins, the 'A' Frame is moved forward and backwards by two hydrualic rams positioned behind the frame and operating on each leg, the rams are mounted on pedestals behind the leg pivot points, again attached to the deck.

I think since this appears to be a real life safety situation, with peoples lives at definite risk, a competent engineer should be consulted.
The calculation is more than just a question of statics, and bending in the A Frame legs, various safety and condition factors need to be applied, not least to the rams.

I would imagine that such a calculation, followed by regular inspections and tests, is mandatory in most States.

1. What are "Forces applied to secure points"?

Forces applied to secure points refer to the physical forces that are used to secure an object or structure in place. These forces can include tension, compression, shear, and torsion.

2. Why is it important to apply forces to secure points?

Applying forces to secure points is important because it ensures that an object or structure remains stable and does not move or collapse. This is crucial for the safety and functionality of any structure.

3. How do you determine the appropriate forces to be applied to secure points?

The appropriate forces to be applied to secure points depend on various factors, such as the weight and size of the object or structure, the materials used, the environmental conditions, and the intended use of the object or structure. These factors are taken into consideration during the design and engineering process.

4. What are some common methods used to apply forces to secure points?

Some common methods used to apply forces to secure points include bolts, screws, nails, welds, adhesive bonding, and tensioning systems such as cables or chains. The choice of method depends on the specific requirements of the object or structure and the materials used.

5. Can forces applied to secure points be adjusted or changed?

Yes, forces applied to secure points can be adjusted or changed if necessary. This may be done during the design and construction process or in cases where the object or structure needs to be modified. However, any changes should be carefully evaluated to ensure the stability and safety of the object or structure.