Forces involved in circular motion

In summary, a ball on a string swung in circular motion has a centripetal acceleration, with tension acting as the centripetal force along the radius of the path. According to Newton's third law, there should be an opposite and equal reaction force to the tension. However, it is not clear what this force is, as mass is a scalar and centrifugal force is typically considered a reaction force to centripetal force. The rotation of the moon around the Earth can be explained by the Earth's gravitational force pulling the moon towards it, as evidenced by tides.
scottnobles

Homework Statement

hey, i was looking at an explanation in a textbook where it says a ball on the end of a string is swung horizontally in circular motion. There is a centripetal acceleration therefore tension acts as the centripetal force and acts along the radius of the circular path. What i want to know is that Newtons third law states that every action has an opposite and equal reaction. So what is the reaction force of the tension acting on the string?

Homework Equations

F=mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't seem to be able to figure out what it is but i think mass would not be the reaction force because mass is a scaler and has no direction. The other explanation would be centrifugal force but isn't centrifugal force a reaction force of centripetal force? which is what I am trying to find? This is why I am a little confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
Moon rotates around the Earth because the gravitational force of the Earth pulls the moon towards it. It is action of Earth on moon. Because of the initial horizontal velocity the moon is no falling towards the earth. As as reaction moon pulls the earth. Tides are the evidence of that.

I can understand your confusion about the forces involved in circular motion. Let me help clarify this for you.

Firstly, you are correct in your understanding that Newton's third law states that every action has an opposite and equal reaction. In the case of a ball on a string being swung in circular motion, the tension in the string provides the centripetal force that keeps the ball moving in a circular path. This is the action force.

Now, according to Newton's third law, there must be an equal and opposite reaction force. In this case, the reaction force is provided by the ball itself. As the string pulls on the ball, the ball exerts an equal and opposite force on the string. This reaction force is what allows the string to remain taut and continue to provide the centripetal force.

You are correct that mass is a scalar quantity and does not have a direction. However, in this case, the reaction force is not necessarily a vector quantity like force. It is simply the equal and opposite force to the tension in the string, which is provided by the ball.

As for centrifugal force, it is not a reaction force to the centripetal force. Centrifugal force is a fictitious force that arises due to the fact that we are observing the motion from a non-inertial reference frame. It is not a real force, but rather a mathematical concept that helps us understand the motion of objects in circular motion.

In summary, the reaction force to the tension in the string is provided by the ball itself, and it is equal and opposite in direction to the tension force. I hope this helps clarify your understanding of the forces involved in circular motion.

What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path or trajectory. This type of motion involves a force acting towards the center of the circle, known as the centripetal force, which keeps the object moving in a circular path.

What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is directed towards the center of the circle and is necessary to maintain the object's circular motion.

What are some examples of circular motion?

Some common examples of circular motion include the motion of planets around the sun, the motion of a car around a curve, and the motion of a ball in a spinning washing machine.

How is circular motion related to Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's first law states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force. In circular motion, the object is constantly changing direction, indicating that there must be a force acting upon it, which is the centripetal force. This relates to Newton's second law, which states that the net force acting on an object is directly proportional to its mass and acceleration.

What factors affect the strength of the centripetal force?

The strength of the centripetal force depends on the mass of the object, the speed of the object, and the radius of the circular path. A larger mass or higher speed will result in a stronger centripetal force, while a larger radius will result in a weaker centripetal force.