Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces involved in particle decays

1. Apr 12, 2010 #1
    Hey

I'm getting muddled deciding which forces are responsible in individual particle decays.

I'm looking at the hyperphysics page: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/forces/funfor.html

Here it says that the photon mediates the EM force. So does that mean that if photons are produced after a decay, the EM force was involved?

Then it says that the strong force is mediated by gluons and [tex]\pi[/tex] (nucleons), which I assume means pions(??). So if there are pions involved in a decay, the strong force must be involved?

I'm confused because I don't think it can be this straightforward, given that you get decays involving pions and photons.

Any advice would be very helpful ! Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2010 #2
    Did you read the rest of the information on that page?

When you say a particle "mediates" an interaction, you are talking about the virtual particle in the Feynman diagram. So, that does not necessarily mean it is in the end state of a decay. For instance, you will not see W and Z bosons in the final state of decays, but there are decays which proceed through the weak force (e.g. neutron and charged-pions).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook