Forces involved in particle decays

In summary, the conversation discusses the different forces involved in individual particle decays, specifically the electromagnetic force and the strong force. It is mentioned that the photon mediates the EM force and gluons and pions mediate the strong force. However, it is clarified that the presence of these particles does not necessarily mean they are in the end state of a decay. Further information on this topic is suggested for a better understanding.
Cakey
Hey

I'm getting muddled deciding which forces are responsible in individual particle decays.

I'm looking at the hyperphysics page: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/forces/funfor.html

Here it says that the photon mediates the EM force. So does that mean that if photons are produced after a decay, the EM force was involved?

Then it says that the strong force is mediated by gluons and [tex]\pi[/tex] (nucleons), which I assume means pions(??). So if there are pions involved in a decay, the strong force must be involved?

I'm confused because I don't think it can be this straightforward, given that you get decays involving pions and photons.

Any advice would be very helpful ! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you read the rest of the information on that page?

When you say a particle "mediates" an interaction, you are talking about the virtual particle in the Feynman diagram. So, that does not necessarily mean it is in the end state of a decay. For instance, you will not see W and Z bosons in the final state of decays, but there are decays which proceed through the weak force (e.g. neutron and charged-pions).

1. What are the fundamental forces involved in particle decays?

The four fundamental forces involved in particle decays are gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. These forces are responsible for the interactions between particles and play a crucial role in the decays of particles.

2. How do these forces affect the stability of particles?

The strength of these forces determines the stability of particles. For example, the strong nuclear force keeps protons and neutrons bound together in the nucleus, while the weak nuclear force plays a role in the decay of subatomic particles.

3. What is the role of the strong nuclear force in particle decays?

The strong nuclear force is responsible for holding quarks together to form protons and neutrons. In particle decays, this force can also cause the decay of a heavier particle into lighter particles by breaking apart the bonds between quarks.

4. How does the weak nuclear force contribute to particle decays?

The weak nuclear force is responsible for the decay of particles that involve changes in their flavor, such as changing from a neutron to a proton. This force is weaker than the strong nuclear force, but plays a crucial role in the stability and decay of particles.

5. How do scientists study the forces involved in particle decays?

Scientists use particle accelerators to study the forces involved in particle decays. By colliding particles at high energies, they can observe the interactions between particles and study the role of each force in the decay process.