• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Foreign Language: A requirement for Mathematics Ph.Ds?

• Thread starter Dakure
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Though still an undergrad in my early stages, I've been looking at graduate school programs and requirements just for kicks. In a significant amount of universities learning or knowing a foreign language (French, German, and/or Russian seem to be the most common choices) is a requirement.

So I was wondering, seeing as how I can get started on learning a language while still in my undergrad years, which language(s) would be the most useful to learn for a Ph.D in Mathematics?

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Answers and Replies

I don't think you really need to be fluent in a language, I always heard you just had to translate a page of a document using a dictionary, or something similar to that.

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
It's not generally required for the work - it's a general entry requirement for some universities. It promotes well rounded students = keep out the uncouth scientists and engineers who might use the wrong fork at a formal dinner.
Generally you only need minimal high school (the which way to the post office stuff) french/spanish/german

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
My PhD foreign language exam went something like this. "I see you took German in college. Sprechen Sie Deutsch?" "Si, Senor." "Close enough. Next!"