1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Foreign Language: A requirement for Mathematics Ph.Ds?

1. Apr 20, 2009 #1
    Though still an undergrad in my early stages, I've been looking at graduate school programs and requirements just for kicks. In a significant amount of universities learning or knowing a foreign language (French, German, and/or Russian seem to be the most common choices) is a requirement.

So I was wondering, seeing as how I can get started on learning a language while still in my undergrad years, which language(s) would be the most useful to learn for a Ph.D in Mathematics?

Thanks in advance,
    Alex

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2009 #2
    I don't think you really need to be fluent in a language, I always heard you just had to translate a page of a document using a dictionary, or something similar to that.

4. Apr 20, 2009 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not generally required for the work - it's a general entry requirement for some universities. It promotes well rounded students = keep out the uncouth scientists and engineers who might use the wrong fork at a formal dinner.
    Generally you only need minimal high school (the which way to the post office stuff) french/spanish/german

5. Apr 20, 2009 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

My PhD foreign language exam went something like this. "I see you took German in college. Sprechen Sie Deutsch?" "Si, Senor." "Close enough. Next!"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook