Fulfilling foreign language requirement questions?

• Thread starter Ascendant78
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Language
In summary, as a physics major, there is a requirement to have an intermediate level of foreign language for a BA. To minimize extra courses, the person is studying Spanish on their own. They have a few questions about placement tests, CLEP, the number of courses needed for intermediate level, and the benefits of knowing multiple languages in grad school and the field. Knowing German can be beneficial for studying or working in Europe, but the number of courses needed and the preference for German in the physics field may vary by university.
Ascendant78
I know that as a physics major, we are required to have an "intermediate level" fulfillment of a foreign language for our BA. However, since I am hoping to double major (physics/astrophysics or physics/engineering), the less extra courses I can take, the better. As such, I'm studying up on my Spanish on my own to try to have to take as few courses in foreign language as possible.

I did have a few questions that I wasn't sure about at this point. If anyone has any answers to them, that would be great:

1. Is there a placement test for foreign language that would allow you to skip to a higher level?

2. If I went the CLEP route, can I choose to not receive college credits for doing so? I ask because this would allow me to take more courses involving my majors without getting penalized financially for too many credit hours.

3. If there is no way to skip up to intermediate level, how many courses do you need to take in order to reach what is considered intermediate level in a foreign language?

4. Has anyone in grad school or post-grad seen any actual benefit to knowing German? I had heard previously that it is the preferred language for physics majors, but I am not sure how accurate that information was.

5. Does knowing multiple foreign languages offer any actual benefit when applying to grad schools or in the field after grad school, or is it better to put those studies towards other things?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. and 2. You need to ask someone at your university, because it varies from one university to another. The person(s) responsible for decisions about exam or placement credit might be in the registrar's office, or in the appropriate language department.

3. The information about the number of courses needed to satisfy your university's language requirement should be on their website somewhere, under something like "general education requirements."

If you end up studying or working in Europe, even if only for a while, knowing either German or French is obviously useful. Most everybody you're likely to interact with professionally will probably speak English anyway, but it's still useful for everyday life there, and travel during vacation periods.

I studied German beginning in high school, and even spent a semester in Germany under my college's study-abroad program. I did it because I enjoy studying languages in general, and German's historical connection with science. Professionally, I used it for reading some background material in the original German for my dissertation, and for earning a bit of extra money during grad school by translating some technical stuff from East Germany for a government contractor.

It also give me an "in" for meeting my wife, who teaches German (no, she was not one of my instructors). :smile:

Last edited:

1. What is a foreign language requirement?

A foreign language requirement is a prerequisite for completing a degree or program, which typically involves demonstrating proficiency in a language other than your native language. This may include coursework, exams, or other forms of assessment.

2. Do all universities have a foreign language requirement?

No, not all universities have a foreign language requirement. Some universities may have a specific language requirement, while others may have a more general requirement for demonstrating proficiency in a second language.

3. How can I fulfill the foreign language requirement?

There are several ways to fulfill the foreign language requirement, depending on the specific requirements of your university or program. This may include taking language courses, passing proficiency exams, or providing evidence of prior language experience.

4. Can I fulfill the requirement with my native language?

In most cases, no. The purpose of the foreign language requirement is to demonstrate proficiency in a language other than your native language. However, some universities may allow you to take a placement test or provide evidence of prior experience in a specific language to fulfill the requirement.

5. Can I waive the foreign language requirement?

It depends on the university or program. Some may allow you to waive the requirement if you have prior experience or proficiency in a language, while others may have a strict requirement that cannot be waived. It is best to check with your university or program for their specific policies on waiving the foreign language requirement.