Formula for the star density of the milky way?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
pere plank
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
It would be great if any of you could give me an approximate formula of the star density of the milky way, as far as i know (and I'm not pretty sure), it falls off exponentially, both vertically and radially. The formula i have in my head would be something like
##Density \propto e^{-R/a}*e^{-h/b}##
where R and h would be the radius and the height (taking as center the center of the galaxy) and a and b would be constants that i need to find.

how wrong am i? could you help me find a and b? (the central budge isn't included in that formula)
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Yeah that's about right. If I remember correctly, a is about 8kpc and b is about 1kpc. I'm sure you can find more accurate numbers in papers.