Formula to convert 3d co ords. into 2d orthographical co ords.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
rollcast
Messages
403
Reaction score
0
I have been trying to find out if this is possible and can't find anything, probably I'm not using the right maths terminology to get it.

What I want to be able to do is to take a set of 3d co ordinates and then use some sort of algorithm, formula or similar to convert these into a 2d orthographic projection.

Thanks
AL
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Take a new set of 3D basis vectors with respect to your projection plane(two in-plane and one normal to the plane). Convert your existing coordinates to this new basis(dot product each vector with the new basis vector to get the component in that direction). Then drop the normal values.