Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fortran 77 & 90/95 on Windows XP

1. Sep 30, 2008 #1
    Hi all,

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I couldn't find it. However, I will ask it nevertheless...

How does one compile AND run fortran 77 & 90/95 codes on a Windows XP O/S? The fact I am asking this means I am not a computer-whizz so please take this into account when replying! :-S

I have installed Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler Professional Edition for Windows but I don't really see what this gives me since I still lack a terminal where I can start typing in commands... Also it's only on a 90-day evaluation, surely there is a freeware version out there?

Natski

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2008 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

4. Sep 30, 2008 #3
    Well I usually use a Mac, so typically I use an X11 terminal and compile and run programs within there. I don't really like the idea of a point-and-click compiler somehow...

5. Sep 30, 2008 #4

Borek

Matter of preferences then :smile:

6. Sep 30, 2008 #5

jtbell

Didn't it come with documentation on how to use it?

7. Sep 30, 2008 #6
    Ok, I think I have found the solution to my problem and will post it here for those who are similarly clueless with computers.

1) Download & Install Windows PowerShell 1.0 from Microsoft Download Center, which is your console for compiling and running code.

2) Download g95-MinGW from the g95 homepage (just Google g95), which is a freeware Fortran compiler for Windows. You have to use the readme.txt file to change a couple of system features after installing.

3) Download & install an editor, I got Crimson Editor.

Natski

8. Sep 30, 2008 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have the silverfrost FTN95 program on my Xp and that works fine. (Is similarly clueless about computers) I think that was just one download.

9. Sep 30, 2008 #8
    Yes! I am also clueless and have the Silverfrost Plato IDE program which I downloaded for free (but forget where).

Works great

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to mention I am using XP

10. Sep 30, 2008 #9

uart

Science Advisor

Guys I had a similar question a few weeks ago because I wanted to brush up on Fortran so I could help my nephew who's taking a Uni course that requires it.

I also first downloaded the silverfrost/plato compiler/development environment. It's nice and easy to use but it's got the annoying nag screen and also it doesn't make stand-alone executible files. (the .exe files you make wont run on another computer unless you also copy the salflib.dll file as well). Someone recommended the freeware g95 compiler (for windows) so I downloaded that and it works great, no nag screen and it makes stand-alone executable files.

So I recommend getting both the silverfrost and g95 compilers. You get the nice development and debugging environment of silverfrost, then when you're finished debugging just compile with g95 to make a nagless exe.

11. Oct 22, 2008 #10
    Do you know how to compile Fortran77 with this software? I keep getting the error that I need FTN77 on my path, but I don't even see FTN77 in the program folder, there's only ftn95 and ftn90, I think, so I don't know what to put on the path.

Thanks.

12. Oct 22, 2008 #11
  13. Feb 21, 2011 #12
    I will be starting Fortran 77 as a new course.
    I need the website to download the programming language itself (can i install it on windows 7 OS?)
    I also need a website to download the tutorial
    This is to keep me ahead of my training on this programm

14. Feb 21, 2011 #13

Borek

There is no such thing as a "programming language to download". What you are looking for is a compiler and/or IDE (Integrated Debugging Environment) or at least some debugger.

15. Feb 21, 2011 #14
    @Borek
    Thanks for that information, i'm new to programming
    Pls give me the full list of what i need to start learning programming with Fortran 77.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?