[Fortran] How to open .hdf5 file extension

In summary, The conversation discusses a user's question about using velocity data in a file called "file.hdf5" for a project they are working on. They normally use .dat extensions and are wondering how to access the data in this particular file. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using Python and libraries to extract the data. The user is directed to check the HDF Group website for potential solutions and code.
sketos
Hello, i am relatively new linux user so please be as thoroughly descriptive as you can.

i am starting a project and i have a file "file.hdf5" which contains velocity data i need to process in my fortran program. What do i have to do in order to use the data inside this file?

i normally use .dat extensions and i simply do:

open(unit=1,file="file1.dat",status="replace")

do i=1,N
read(1,*)...
enddo

In this case what procedure should i follow?? Is it possible to do it directly from fortran or i must extract them using python?? I need any libraries for this and if so how do i install and use them ( haven't used any libraries before).

if anyone has the courage to explain i would appreciate!

Technology news on Phys.org

1. How do I open a .hdf5 file in Fortran?

To open a .hdf5 file in Fortran, you can use the HDF5 library. First, you will need to include the HDF5 module in your Fortran code. Then, you can use the H5Fopen subroutine to open the file and access its contents.

2. How do I read data from a .hdf5 file in Fortran?

To read data from a .hdf5 file in Fortran, you can use the H5Dread subroutine. This subroutine allows you to specify the dataset you want to read from and the memory location where you want to store the data. You will also need to specify the datatype of the data in the file and the datatype of the data in memory.

3. Can I write data to a .hdf5 file in Fortran?

Yes, you can write data to a .hdf5 file in Fortran using the H5Dwrite subroutine. This subroutine allows you to specify the dataset you want to write to, the data you want to write, and the datatype of the data. You can also specify any data layout or compression options.

4. How do I close a .hdf5 file in Fortran?

To close a .hdf5 file in Fortran, you can use the H5Fclose subroutine. This will release any resources associated with the file and ensure that all data has been flushed to the file. It is important to close the file when you are finished using it to prevent any data loss.

5. Are there any other libraries or tools I can use to open .hdf5 files in Fortran?

Yes, there are other libraries and tools you can use to open .hdf5 files in Fortran, such as the NetCDF library or the HDFView tool. However, using the HDF5 library is the most common and reliable way to open and work with .hdf5 files in Fortran.