1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Four-Velocity and Schwartzchild Metric

1. Oct 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the Schwartzchild metric. Calculus the 4-velocity of a stationary observer in this spacetime (u). Show that u2 = c2.

2. Relevant equations
    Schwartzchild Metric
    [tex]d{s^2} = {c^2}\left( {1 - \frac{{2\mu }}{r}} \right)d{t^2} - {\left( {1 - \frac{{2\mu }}{r}} \right)^{ - 1}}d{r^2} - {r^2}d{\theta ^2} - {r^2}{\sin ^2}\theta d{\phi ^2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I already turned this in... I just want to make sure I understand this properly. I'm pretty sure that [itex]\mathbf{u}\cdot\mathbf{u}[/itex] is always equal to c^2 in the rest frame of a particle... So I think the point of the problem is to figure out the components of the four-velocity based on this fact. So here is my attempt at a solution... how ever I actually arrived at the solution in going from the bottom to the top.

So here's how I attempted to solve it:
    From the Schwartzchild metric:
    [tex]g_{00} = c^2\left(1 - \frac{2\mu }{r}\right)[/tex]

The four-velocity u of a stationary observer is given by:
    [tex]
    \begin{gathered}
    \left[ {{u^\mu }} \right] = \left( {{{\left( {1 - \frac{{2\mu }}{r}} \right)}^{ - 1/2}},0,0,0} \right) \hfill \\
    {c^2}\left( {1 - \frac{{2\mu }}{r}} \right){\left[ {{{\left( {1 - \frac{{2\mu }}{r}} \right)}^{ - 1/2}}} \right]^2} = {c^2} \hfill \\
    \hfill \\
    \end{gathered} [/tex]

It follows that:
    [tex]{\mathbf{u}} \cdot {\mathbf{u}} = {g_{ab}}{u^a}{u^b} = {g_{00}}{\left( {{u^0}} \right)^2} = {c^2}\left( {1 - \frac{{2\mu }}{r}} \right){\left[ {{{\left( {1 - \frac{{2\mu }}{r}} \right)}^{ - 1/2}}} \right]^2} = {c^2}[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks fine to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted