Majorana Fermions: Lagrangean and equations of motion

In summary, the given equations can be obtained from the given Lagrangian by taking partial derivatives and applying the charge conjugation property. The process is still being evaluated and further steps are needed to fully understand it.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Show that the equations (below) can be obtained from the followong lagrangian
Relevant Equations
$$i \gamma^{\mu} \partial_{\mu} \psi = m \psi_c \\
i \gamma^{\mu} \partial_{\mu} \psi_c = m \psi
$$

Where ##\psi_c = C \gamma^0 \psi^*##

Show that the above equations can be obtained from the followong lagrangian

$$
L = \overline{\psi} i \gamma^{\mu} \partial_{\mu} \psi - \frac{1}{2} m \left ( \psi^T C \psi + \overline{\psi} C \overline{\psi}^T \right )
$$

Where ##C## is charge conjugation

$$
\begin{align*}
L = \overline{\psi} i \gamma^{\mu} \partial_{\mu} \psi - \frac{1}{2} m \left ( \psi^T C \psi + \overline{\psi} C \overline{\psi}^T \right ) = \overline{\psi}_a i \gamma^{\mu} \partial_{\mu} \psi^a - \frac{1}{2} m \left ( \psi^a C_{ab} \psi^b + \overline{\psi}^a C_{ab} \overline{\psi}^b \right )
\end{align*}
$$

\begin{align*}
\frac{\partial L}{\partial \psi^r} = -\frac{1}{2} m \left ( C_{ra} \psi^a + \psi^a C_{ar} \right ) = - \frac{1}{2} m \left ( C_{ra} \psi^a - \psi^a C_{ra} \right )
\end{align*}

\begin{align*}
\frac{\partial L}{\partial \overline{\psi}^r} = i \gamma^{\mu} \partial_{\mu} \psi_r -\frac{1}{2} m \left ( C_{ra} \overline{\psi}^a + \overline{\psi}^a C_{ar} \right ) = i \gamma^{\mu} \partial_{\mu} \psi_r -\frac{1}{2} m \left ( C_{ra} \overline{\psi}^a - \overline{\psi}^a C_{ra} \right )
\end{align*}

\begin{align*}
\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\mu}} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \partial_{\mu} \psi^r} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\mu}} \left ( \overline{\psi_r} i \gamma^{\mu}\right) = \partial_{\mu} \overline{\psi}_r i \gamma^{\mu}
\end{align*}

\begin{align*}
\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\mu}} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \partial_{\mu} \overline{\psi}^r} = 0
\end{align*}

\begin{align*}
-\frac{1}{2} m \left ( C_{ra} \psi^a - \psi^a C_{ra} \right ) - i \partial_{\mu} \overline{\psi_r} \gamma^{\mu} = 0 \\
i \gamma^{\mu} \partial_{\mu} \psi_r -\frac{1}{2} m \left ( C_{ra} \overline{\psi}^a - \overline{\psi}^a C_{ra} \right ) = 0
\end{align*}

But i am not sure how to proceed!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone give me a tip? I am still trying to evaluate it, but i can't found out what i have to do.

1. What are Majorana fermions?

Majorana fermions are hypothetical particles that are their own antiparticles. They were first proposed by Italian physicist Ettore Majorana in the 1930s and are predicted to have properties that are different from other known particles, such as being electrically neutral and having a half-integer spin.

2. What is the Lagrangian of Majorana fermions?

The Lagrangian of Majorana fermions describes their dynamics and interactions in a quantum field theory. It is a mathematical function that takes into account the kinetic and potential energies of the particles, as well as their interactions with other particles and fields.

3. How are Majorana fermions described by equations of motion?

Majorana fermions are described by the Dirac equation, which is a relativistic wave equation that governs the behavior of fermions. This equation takes into account the mass and spin of the particles, as well as their interactions with electromagnetic and other fields.

4. What are the implications of Majorana fermions for physics?

The existence of Majorana fermions would have significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics. They could help explain the asymmetry between matter and antimatter in the universe, as well as provide insights into the nature of dark matter. They could also have potential applications in quantum computing and other technologies.

5. Have Majorana fermions been observed in experiments?

While there have been some experimental results that suggest the possible existence of Majorana fermions, their existence has not been definitively confirmed. Further research and experiments are needed to fully understand the properties and behavior of these particles.