1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier analysis - prerequisites

1. Dec 13, 2011 #1
    I was wondering at what point most students encounter Fourier analysis and what the prerequisites are considered to be?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'd say you have to know calculus and linear algebra fairly well. With that knowledge, you can already do quite a bit of fourier analysis.

If you want to do more theoretical things, then following a course in real analysis and functional analysis seems necessary.

4. Dec 13, 2011 #3
    Most students (at my school) encounter Fourier Analysis in Partial Differential Equations if they are math majors and Circuit Analysis II (with more use in a Systems and Signals course) if they are EE majors.

To use the techniques from Fourier Analysis, you need integration as well as a good working knowledge of complex numbers and trigonometric functions. Understanding it requires Linear Algebra.

Thats as far as I know. This is coming from a EE who just took linear algebra.

5. Dec 14, 2011 #4
    Thanks for the replies.

I suspect it's the complex numbers / trigonometry that I should be working on further. Any recommended resources?

My background is primarily economics so have some [perhaps passable] calculus and linear algebra.

I'm at one of those points where I feel I get/can follow something, but not deeply enough to replicate independently in an applied context.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook