1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier/Laplace transform for PDE

1. May 10, 2006 #1
    hello
    i am trying to find the fundamental solution to
    [tex]\frac{\partial c}{\partial t} = D\frac{\partial ^2 c}{\partial x^2}[/tex]
    where c=c(x,t)
    with initial condition being [tex]c(x,0)=\delta (x)[/tex]
    where [tex]\delta (x)[/tex] is the dirac delta function.
    i have the solution and working written out in front of me.
    first off its got the laplace transform of [tex]\frac{\partial c}{\partial t}[/tex] as
    [tex] u\hat c (x,u) -c(x,0)[/tex]
    and the Fourier transform of [tex]\frac{\partial ^2 c}{\partial x^2}[/tex] as
    [tex]-q^2 \tilde c (q,t) [/tex]
    and then out of nowhere we get
    [tex]\hat c (q,u) = \frac{c(q,0)}{u+Dq^2}[/tex]
    once that bit of magic is done and a leap of faith is taken then i can see how the rest of it falls into place but can anyone explain the above steps to me?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2006 #2
    To get the fourier and laplace transform of the first derivative you put df/dx into the definitions, integrate by parts and use, in the fourier case, that f(x) must vanish as x goes to infinity in order for the the Fourier transform of f(x) to exist. And this you easily can generalize to higher derivatives.

If you set c(q,0)=1 you get the Green function for the diffusion equation in the transformed space. The Green function is very useful for solving more complicated problems. A general solution to the diffusion equation is then integrals over the Green function G(r,r';t,t') times the source term, the boundary conditions, the initial condition, respectively.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?