Fourier Series for f(x) = sin(3x/2) and Evaluating Series for (1/(4n^2-9))^2

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
theorem
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Evaluate following series:
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{(4n^2-9)^2}[/tex]
by finding the Fourier series for the [itex]2\pi[/itex]-periodic function
[tex]f(x) =<br /> \begin{cases}<br /> sin(3x/2) & 0<x<\pi \\<br /> 0 & otherwise<br /> \end{cases}[/tex]

Homework Equations


[tex]a_n = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(x)cos(nx)dx = -\frac{6}{\pi(4n^2-9)}[/tex]
[tex]b_n = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(x)sin(nx)dx = \frac{4ncos(\pi n)}{\pi(4n^2-9)}[/tex]
[tex]f(x) = \frac{1}{2}a_0 + \sum_{n=1}^\infty \left(a_ncos(nx)+b_nsin(nx)\right) \\ = \frac{1}{2}\frac{2}{3\pi} + \frac{1}{\pi}\sum_{n=1}^\infty \left( \frac{4ncos(\pi n)sin(nx)-6cos(nx)}{4n^2-9}\right)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


I have found the Fourier series and evaluated 1/(4n^2-9) as it was the first part of this exercise. However, I am not sure how to evaluate it for the square. I figured I just needed to square the answer but it turns out it's that simple .

I found Parseval's formula in my book
[tex]\frac{1}{\pi}\int_T |f(x)|^2dx = \frac{1}{2}|a_0|^2 + \sum_{n=1}^\infty (|a_n|^2+|b_n|^2)[/tex].
which I tried using, but the [itex]b_n[/itex] term gives me an ugly expression in the numerator.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]b_n[/itex] should not be a function of [itex]x[/itex]. Take another look at it, and remember that [itex]\cos(\pm n\pi) = (-1)^n[/itex].