What is the correct Fourier series for f(x) = 2x-1 on the interval 0<x<1?

In summary, you found the Fourier coefficients for the function ƒ\left(x\right) = 2x-1 . The coefficients are A_n = \frac{2}{\pi^2}\sum \frac{ (-1)^{n} -1 }{n^2}\cos(n\pi x) and B_n = -\frac{2}{\pi}\sum \frac{(-1)^n - 1}{n} \sin(n\pi x).
gl0ck

Homework Statement

Hello guys,

I have to solve one basic problem, but I got the result twice smaller that it should be. So, I am thinking that I must have missed something basic.
The problem is [tex]f\left(x\right) = 2x-1[/tex] for ##0<x<1##.

I have to find the Fourier coefficients.
I have found [tex]A_n = \frac{2}{\pi^2}\sum \frac{ (-1)^{n} -1 }{n^2}\cos(n\pi x)[/tex]
but the answer says [tex]A_n=\frac{4}{\pi^2}\sum \frac{ (-1)^n -1 }{n^2}\cos(n\pi x)[/tex] and [tex]B_n = -\frac{2}{\pi} \sum \frac{(-1)^n - 1}{n} \sin(n\pi x)[/tex]

Also I am confused about the thing that I can see on some places formulas for An such that [tex]A_n = \frac{1}{L} \int_{-L}^L f(x)\cos\left(\frac{n\pi}{L}x\right)dx[/tex] and on some places it is [tex]\frac{2}{L}\int_{-L}^L f(x) \cos\left(\frac{n\pi x}{2} x\right)dx[/tex] in my case I solved with the second formula and get for ##L - 1/2## and formula for ##An = 4 \int_0^1 (2x - 1)\cos(2n\pi x)dx##, same for ##B_n## but with sin.

Thanks and hope you could understand my question(s)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
gl0ck said:

Homework Statement

Hello guys,

I have to solve one basic problem, but I got the result twice smaller that it should be. So, I am thinking that I have missed something basic.
The problem is ƒ[itex]\left(x\right)[/itex] = 2x-1 , 0<x<1
I have to find the Fourier coefficients.

You have given a function of (0,1). That is not a periodic function. Your first decision is what periodic function you are expanding, specifically what is the definition going to be on (-1,0). There are three "natural" choices. You could just use the same formula 2x-1 on -1<x<0, or the even extension of 2x-1, or the odd extension of 2x-1 on (-1,0), and extend them periodically. The first choice would be neither even nor odd and would have both ##a_n## and ##b_n## coefficients. The second and third choices being even or odd would have only ##a_n## or ##b_n## coefficients, respectively. Those last two can use the half range formulas. Surely your text talks about that.

Not sure I understand what you mean. Are you suggesting to use limits -1<x<0 or -1<x<1 ? If it is that does't it really change the answer much if it is -1<x<0 or 0<x<1.
Or you mean I should understand what is written here : http://www.math24.net/even-and-odd-extensions.html ?
The whole text of the problem says :
Find the Fourier cosine and sine series for the following functions and sketch their corresponding even and odd extensions.

Last edited:
gl0ck said:
Not sure I understand what you mean. Are you suggesting to use limits -1<x<0 or -1<x<1 ? If it is that does't it really change the answer much if it is -1<x<0 or 0<x<1.
Or you mean I should understand what is written here : http://www.math24.net/even-and-odd-extensions.html ?

Yes, you need to understand that.

The whole text of the problem says :
Find the Fourier cosine and sine series for the following functions and sketch their corresponding even and odd extensions.

The point is that the even and odd extensions are in fact even and odd functions. And because of that the Fourier coefficients can be calculated by using the so-called half range formulas. The idea is that the ##a_n## formulas for an even function have even integrands. So instead of doing an integral like ##\int_{-a}^a## you can do ##2\int_0^a##. That's the idea behind the half range formulas and you don't have to worry about (-a,0) in the formulas.

I forgot to thank you, sorry :) This helped me a lot and I solved them all :D

Related to What is the correct Fourier series for f(x) = 2x-1 on the interval 0<x<1?

What is a Fourier Series?

A Fourier Series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as an infinite sum of sinusoidal functions. It is named after the French mathematician and physicist, Joseph Fourier.

What is the purpose of a Fourier Series?

The purpose of a Fourier Series is to decompose a complex periodic function into simpler sinusoidal functions, making it easier to analyze and understand. It is also used to approximate non-periodic functions by using a series of periodic functions.

What are the components of a Fourier Series?

A Fourier Series consists of three components: the amplitude, frequency, and phase of each sinusoidal function. These components determine the shape and position of the periodic function in the time domain.

What is the difference between a Fourier Series and a Fourier Transform?

A Fourier Series is used for periodic functions, while a Fourier Transform is used for non-periodic functions. A Fourier Series decomposes a function into sinusoidal functions with discrete frequencies, while a Fourier Transform decomposes a function into sinusoidal functions with continuous frequencies.

How is a Fourier Series calculated?

A Fourier Series can be calculated using a mathematical formula, which involves finding the coefficients of the sinusoidal functions that make up the series. This can be done manually or using software such as MATLAB or WolframAlpha.