What is the Fourier Series for (sin(x))^2 on the interval [-π, π]?

In summary: Therefore, in summary, the Fourier Series for sin2x on [-π, π] has a_0 = 1/2 and all other coefficients are 0, except for a_2 which is equal to -1/2. This is due to the double-angle theorem and can also be evaluated through L'Hopital's rule.
Hertz
Hey there!
I'm trying to calculate the Fourier Series for sin2x on [-π, π]

For a0 I found 1/2. (By determining the average value of the function on the interval)

Since sin2x is even, I know that bn = 0.
Now, for an.. The following link shows the integral I used to try to evaluate an.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/...

Since an and bn are both coming out to be zero, doesn't this imply that sin2x = a0 = 1/2? Will someone please show me where I am going wrong? Can't find anything online about this. Everyone just always uses the sin2 identity and calls it good.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hint: Recall that
(sin(x))^2=(1/2) (1-cos(2 x))

as for the integral we have

$$a_2=\frac{1}{\pi} \int _{- \pi}^\pi \! \sin^2(x) \cos(2x) \, \mathrm{dx}=\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\pi}^\pi \! (1-\cos(2 x)) \cos(2x) \, \mathrm{dx}$$

What can I say... My mind is blown...

When you take the integral of sin2(x)cos(nx) you get -[itex]\frac{4sin(πn)}{n^3-4n}[/itex]

It is easy to assume that this is equal to zero for all values of n, but in hindsight it is clear that this does not apply for n = 2. :S!

I'm utterly confused now. Just when I thought I was beginning to understand how to compute Fourier Series...

Hertz said:
What can I say... My mind is blown...

When you take the integral of sin2(x)cos(nx) you get -[itex]\frac{4sin(πn)}{n^3-4n}[/itex]

It is easy to assume that this is equal to zero for all values of n, but in hindsight it is clear that this does not apply for n = 2. :S!

I'm utterly confused now. Just when I thought I was beginning to understand how to compute Fourier Series...

For n = 2, use L'Hopital's rule. I got -2π.

One could also go to basics, using cos2x = cos2x-sin2x
Therefore sin2x = 1/2(1 - cos2x)

Last edited:
It's clear that [itex]a_0=1[/itex] and [itex]a_1=-1/2[/itex], because as said in the previous posting from the double-angle theorem you get
[tex]\sin^2 x=\frac{1}{2}[1-\cos(2 x)].[/tex]
For the Fourier coefficients you indeed have
[tex]a_n=\frac{1}{\pi} \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \mathrm{d} x \sin^2 x \cos(n x)=\frac{4}{\pi(4n-n^3)} \sin (n \pi).[/tex]
This is indeed [itex]0[/itex] for all [itex]n \in \mathbb{N} \setminus \{2 \}[/itex], and for [itex]n=2[/itex] you get by direct evaluation of the integral [itex]a_2=-1/2[/itex].

Of course you can also take the limit [itex]n \rightarrow 2[/itex] by using de L'Hospital's rule, because it's a limit of the indefinite form 0/0:
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow 2} a_n=\lim_{n \rightarrow 2} \frac{4}{\pi} \frac{n \pi \cos(n \pi)}{4-3n^2}=-\frac{1}{2}.[/tex]

1. What is a Fourier Series?

A Fourier Series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as an infinite sum of sine and cosine functions. It is used to analyze and approximate periodic signals in fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering.

2. How is a Fourier Series calculated?

A Fourier Series for a function is calculated by finding the coefficients of the sine and cosine terms that make up the series. These coefficients can be found using integration techniques or by solving a system of equations.

3. Why is (sin(x))^2 used in Fourier Series?

(sin(x))^2 is a commonly used function in Fourier Series because it is a simple periodic function that can be easily represented as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It also has a simple form that allows for easier calculation of the Fourier coefficients.

4. What is the purpose of using Fourier Series for (sin(x))^2?

The purpose of using Fourier Series for (sin(x))^2 is to approximate the function as a sum of simpler periodic functions, which can make it easier to analyze and manipulate. It can also be used to solve differential equations involving (sin(x))^2 or to calculate the power spectrum of signals with (sin(x))^2 components.

5. What are some real-world applications of Fourier Series for (sin(x))^2?

Fourier Series for (sin(x))^2 can be applied in various fields such as signal processing, acoustics, and electronics. For example, it can be used to analyze the frequency components of sound waves or to design filters for electronic circuits. It is also used in image and data compression algorithms to reduce file sizes while preserving essential information.