1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Series (Half-range expansion)

1. Nov 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

rbz30j.jpg

2. Relevant equations

11uvwc4.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't really understand why my solution is wrong as I think I have substituted everything in correctly..

Is it okay if anyone can help me take a look at my solution? Thank you. :)

My solution: (Only bn)

k1wi1d.jpg

My teacher's solution (not the whole solution):

2hfnjbt.jpg

The thing I don't understand is why is my teacher's sin portion "sin nx" and not "sin 2nx" like mine?

Thanks. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your L should be pi. As it is now you are missing half of the interval and not using all of the basis functions.

4. Nov 19, 2014 #3
    I see. Is this due to the half-range expansion, or is it because of the range from (0, π)?

Thank you. :)

5. Nov 19, 2014 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, both. The half-range is 0 to pi so the length of the full range must be 2pi. In the end, you could just as well have considered it to be just an expansion on 0 to pi without making an extension, the basis functions are the same.

6. Nov 19, 2014 #5
    I see. Just wondering, if this is just a normal Fourier series expansion of cos(x) from (0,π), will the L still be the same?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted