Question Fourier half range expansion of function on 0 < x < p

In summary: Thanks for coming to our website. You have come to the wrong place to get your homework worked for you. Work it out yourself or, if you can't, then show us what you have tried and where you are stuck. Thanks for coming to our website.
yungman
I am looking into Fourier series expansion of function that is non periodic on 0< x< p. This is under the tittle of "Half range expansion".

All the books only talked about even or odd extension of f(x) to -p <x< p using either Fouries cosine series expansion or sine series expansion. But never using both for extension.

If f(x) has both sine and cosine series expansion, it is possible to expand with both sine and cosine. the difference is with both expansion, f(x) = 0 for -p<x<0, but still the expansion is valid for 0<x<p. To me this is more closer to the original f(x)... Instead of odd of even extension where the part in -p<x<0 is totally different shape from the f(x). To me I rather just null out the part -p<x<0.

Can anyone tell me a better reason?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your choice of how to define the function on (-p,0) can affect the rate of convergence of the resulting series. For example, suppose you want to get x2 on (0,p). If you define f(x) = 0 on (-p,0) or use the odd extension, the extended periodic function you get will have discontinuities at multiples of p. But the even extension gives a continuous periodic function. Its FS will converge faster then either of the others. Try it. You will get coefficients of order 1/n2 for the even extension and 1/n for the others.

[Edit] I should add for completeness there are some unstated additional assumptions like the Dirichlet conditions. Otherwise a continuous periodic function can have a FS that doesn't converge to it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. But I think there is a place for having both sine and cosine expansion as I presented. Like you said, it is also driven what outcome you want eg. even or odd, faster convergence and in my case zero for -p<x<0.

yungman said:
Thanks for the reply. But I think there is a place for having both sine and cosine expansion as I presented. Like you said, it is also driven what outcome you want eg. even or odd, faster convergence and in my case zero for -p<x<0.

If you specify something other than even or odd extension, you are not doing a half range expansion. You are just doing an ordinary full range FS which will have both sine and cosine terms.

LCKurtz said:
If you specify something other than even or odd extension, you are not doing a half range expansion. You are just doing an ordinary full range FS which will have both sine and cosine terms.

I see, so the definition of Half range expansion is either sine or cosine expansion only.

Thanks for clearing this up.

Find the half-range cosine and sine expansions of the given function:

f(x) = 0 if 0<x<1/2, f(x) = 1 if 1/2<x<1

sir please send the solution as early as possible.
thanking you sir.....

sivasankarm said:
Find the half-range cosine and sine expansions of the given function:

f(x) = 0 if 0<x<1/2, f(x) = 1 if 1/2<x<1

sir please send the solution as early as possible.
thanking you sir.....

You have come to the wrong place to get your homework worked for you. Work it out yourself or, if you can't, then show us what you have tried and where you are stuck.

1. What is the Fourier half range expansion of a function on the interval 0 < x < p?

The Fourier half range expansion is a mathematical technique used to represent a periodic function on the interval 0 < x < p as a sum of sines and cosines. This expansion is only valid for functions that are defined on an interval of length p and have a period of 2p.

2. How is the Fourier half range expansion different from the full range expansion?

The main difference between the Fourier half range expansion and the full range expansion is the range of the function. The Fourier half range expansion is only valid for functions on the interval 0 < x < p, while the full range expansion is valid for functions on the entire real line. Additionally, the coefficients in the two expansions have different formulas and interpretations.

3. What are the advantages of using the Fourier half range expansion?

One of the main advantages of using the Fourier half range expansion is that it simplifies the representation of a function by reducing the number of terms needed. This is especially useful when working with functions that are symmetric about the midpoint of the interval, as half of the coefficients in the Fourier expansion are equal to 0. Additionally, the coefficients in the Fourier half range expansion can be calculated using the Fourier cosine and sine series, which are often easier to work with than the full Fourier series.

4. Can the Fourier half range expansion be used for non-periodic functions?

No, the Fourier half range expansion can only be used for functions that are periodic on the interval 0 < x < p. If a function is not periodic, then the coefficients in the expansion will not converge and the expansion will not be valid.

5. How is the accuracy of the Fourier half range expansion affected by the choice of p?

The accuracy of the Fourier half range expansion is greatly affected by the choice of p. In general, choosing a larger value of p will result in a more accurate approximation of the original function. However, a very large value of p may result in a more complex expansion with many non-zero coefficients, which may be difficult to work with. Therefore, the choice of p must be carefully considered in order to balance accuracy and simplicity.