1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Transform and Wave Function

1. Apr 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a) Find the normalization constant N for the Gaussian wave packet [itex]\psi (x) = N e^{\frac{-(x-x_{0})^{2}}{2K^{2}}}[/itex]. b) Find the Fourier Transform and verify it is normalized.

2. The attempt at a solution

a) I think I've got
    [tex]\psi (x) = N e^{\frac{-(x-x_{0})^{2}}{2K^{2}}}[/tex]
    [tex]\int |N e^{\frac{-(x-x_{0})^{2}}{2K^{2}}}|^{2}dx = 1[/tex]
    [tex]N^{2}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}K}[/tex]
    [tex]N = \frac{1}{\pi^{1/4}\sqrt K}[/tex]
    b) This is where the trouble starts...
    [tex]\psi (x) = \frac{1}{\pi^{1/4}\sqrt K} e^{\frac{-(x-x_{0})^{2}}{2K^{2}}}[/tex]
    [tex]F(\omega)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int \frac{1}{\pi^{1/4}\sqrt K} e^{\frac{-(x-x_{0})^{2}}{2K^{2}}} e^{i \omega x}dx[/tex]
    I think I can pull the normalization constant out of the integrand and get
    [tex]F(\omega)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\frac{1}{\pi^{1/4}\sqrt K} \int e^{\frac{-(x-x_{0})^{2}}{2K^{2}}} e^{i \omega x}dx[/tex]
    And the exponents should combine (here I'm not so sure)
    [tex]F(\omega)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\frac{1}{\pi^{1/4}\sqrt K} \int e^{\frac{-(x-x_{0})^{2}}{2K^{2}}+i \omega x}dx[/tex]
    Assuming I've not gone horribly wrong earlier, evaluation of this integral stumps me. Any help and suggestions are much appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2012 #2
    If I crank through it, I think the result is

[tex]F(\omega)=\frac{1}{\pi^{1/4}\sqrt{1/K^{}2}\sqrt K}e^{\frac{-K^{2}k{2}}{2}+i x_{0} \omega}[/tex]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  4. Apr 28, 2012 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

There should be an ##\omega^2## somewhere in the exponent. Your answer seems to have other typos as well. It would help to see what you actually did, but I think you have it under control.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook