Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier transform of laplace operator

1. Jul 22, 2010 #1
    Hello Everybody.
    I gave a quick look onto the internet but i couldnt get anything interesting.
    Heres my problem.

Im solving the differential equation given by:

[tex](-\Delta+k^2)^2u=\delta [/tex]

Where [tex]\delta[/tex] is the dirac delta distribuiton (and u is thought as a distribution as well)

The first step in the book is to apply FT to both sides of the equation...

The result is:

[tex](4\pi^2\xi^2+k^2)^2\hat{u}=1[/tex]

...I do know that the FT of the Laplacian is [tex]-4\pi^2\xi^2[/tex], but when the whole parenthesis is squared, i just can follow it. I dont know how to get that result....

BTW..whats the meaning of [tex]\Delta^2[/tex]?

Any ideas?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2010 #2
    Represent u(x) as a Fourier transform of \hat{u}(xi). Also, write the Dirac delta as a fourier transform integral. Then let the operator parenthesis act inside the integral sign.

4. Jul 24, 2010 #3
    I think i solved it.
    Fourier acting on laplace squared being equal to the square of F on Laplace is actually easy to prove....
    The only thing remaining to understand is the 'meaning' of laplace squared.
    Laplace acting on a function is an operation from R3-->R1, so you cant apply Laplace over again to the result....
    Is that how we interpret Laplace squared?....or maybe more like the biharmonic operator.??

5. Jul 24, 2010 #4
    The meaning of [itex]\Delta^{2} \, \varphi[/itex] is:

[tex]
    \Delta(\Delta \, \varphi) =
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    = \frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial x^{2}} \left( \frac{\partial^{2} \, \varphi}{\partial x^{2}} + \frac{\partial^{2} \, \varphi}{\partial y^{2}} + \frac{\partial^{2} \, \varphi}{\partial z^{2}}\right)
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    + \frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial y^{2}} \left( \frac{\partial^{2} \, \varphi}{\partial x^{2}} + \frac{\partial^{2} \, \varphi}{\partial y^{2}} + \frac{\partial^{2} \, \varphi}{\partial z^{2}}\right)
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    + \frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial z^{2}} \left( \frac{\partial^{2} \, \varphi}{\partial x^{2}} + \frac{\partial^{2} \, \varphi}{\partial y^{2}} + \frac{\partial^{2} \, \varphi}{\partial z^{2}}\right) =
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    = \frac{\partial^{4} \, \varphi}{\partial x^{4}} + \frac{\partial^{4} \, \varphi}{\partial y^{4}} + \frac{\partial^{4} \, \varphi}{\partial z^{4}} + 2 \, \frac{\partial^{4} \, \varphi}{\partial x^{2} \, \partial y^{2}} + 2 \, \frac{\partial^{4} \, \varphi}{\partial y^{2} \, \partial z^{2}} + 2 \, \frac{\partial^{4} \, \varphi}{\partial z^{2} \, \partial x^{2}}
    [/tex]

6. Jul 24, 2010 #5
    So it is the biharmonic operator indeed !
    Thanks a loot

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook