Partial differential equation containing the Inverse Laplacian Operator

In summary, the author is trying to reproduce the results of a 22-year-old thesis and is having some difficulty solving the differential equations. The author mentions that the equation can be solved numerically in Fourier space by using the laplacian in Fourier space, but nothing else is mentioned.
Celeritas
TL;DR Summary
I want to know how can i solve a partial differential equation containing an inverse laplacian operator numerically in fourier space.
I am trying to reproduce the results of a thesis that is 22 years old and I'm a bit stuck at solving the differential equations. Let's say you have the following equation $$\frac{\partial{\phi}}{\partial{t}}=f(\phi(r))\frac{{\nabla_x}^2{\nabla_y}^2}{{\nabla}^2}g(\phi(r))$$
where ##\phi,g,f## are fields in 2D, ##\nabla_x=\frac{\partial}{\partial{x}}## and ##\nabla^2## is the laplacian operator. The author mentions that this is solved numerically in Fourier space, by using for example the laplacian in Fourier space
$${\nabla_k}^2=\frac{cos(k_x\Delta{x})cos(k_x\Delta{y})+cos(k_x\Delta{x})+cos(k_y\Delta{y})-3}{\Delta{x}^2}$$
but nothing else is mentioned. My first question is how is the initial equation transformed into Fourier space in the first place? I don't see how the typical "multiply by exponential ikr and integrate over r" would work here.
My second question is about the Laplacian in Fourier space. Where did he get that from? Is it something common that can be found in some book?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Celeritas said:
This thesis, along with a couple of papers (I can cite them if you wish), have used this technique to successfully explain experiments
would you please to cite a journal in that these results were published

1) To speak about inverse Laplace is senseless without specification of boundary conditions and functional space
2) in general ##\Delta^{-1}\Delta\ne \Delta\Delta^{-1}## and ##\Delta^{-1}\Delta\ne \mathrm{id}## it is so for the Dirichlet boundary conditions for example; so that the notation ##\frac{\nabla^2\nabla^2}{\nabla^2}## does not make sense

It was originally used by Onuki in 1989:
Onuki, Akira. "Long-range interactions through elastic fields in phase-separating solids." Journal of the Physical Society of Japan 58.9 (1989): 3069-3072.
Later on adopted by many authors:
Ohta, T. "Interface dynamics under the elastic field." Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter 2.48 (1990): 9685.
Müller, Judith, and Martin Grant. "Model of surface instabilities induced by stress." Physical Review Letters 82.8 (1999): 1736.

The boundary conditions depend on the physics. For example the last paper has used periodic boundary conditions in x and y. Anyway that's not the point of my question.
Given that you have that equation and all the pesky mathematical details work out, how would you transform it into Fourier space?
I agree with your second point that the order of it is important, but again that is not the point. From what I understood, if they are just replacing ##\nabla^2## with its Fourier space equivalent, and similar terms for ##\nabla_x^2##,##\nabla_y^2##, then you will end up with just a normal ratio of functions of k, but I am not sure.

regarding the initial post I could perhaps say something if the problem would be stated in the way accepted in math

1. What is a partial differential equation (PDE)?

A partial differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is used to describe physical phenomena in which the rate of change of a quantity is dependent on the values of multiple variables.

2. What is the Inverse Laplacian Operator?

The Inverse Laplacian Operator is a mathematical operator that is used to solve partial differential equations involving the Laplacian operator. It is represented by the symbol ∆⁻¹ and is the inverse of the Laplacian operator (∆).

3. How is the Inverse Laplacian Operator used in PDEs?

The Inverse Laplacian Operator is used to solve PDEs by transforming the equation into an algebraic equation, which is easier to solve. It is applied to both sides of the PDE, resulting in a new equation that can be solved for the unknown function.

4. What are some examples of PDEs containing the Inverse Laplacian Operator?

Examples of PDEs containing the Inverse Laplacian Operator include the heat equation, wave equation, and Poisson's equation. These equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model various physical phenomena.

5. What are the applications of PDEs containing the Inverse Laplacian Operator?

PDEs containing the Inverse Laplacian Operator have many applications in various fields, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. They are used to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena, and have practical applications in areas such as weather forecasting, structural engineering, and medical imaging.